Big 10 vs. SEC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Conference is stronger?

• Big Ten

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SEC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is a joke right? I don't think there can be any question that the SEC dominates the big 10. How many times does Ohio State have to lose to an SEC team in the national championship game to convince people?

Maybe this will start an arguement.
I did not know if there is an argument???!!!! Seriously, did you say Big Ten vs SEC???

Anyone voting for Big 10, please remember these numbers ----- 41-14, 38-24. Ring bells?

EDIT: Also see, 0-9.. Tressel vs SEC in bowl games.

Still, ESPN predicts that OSU may get back to the NC game, may be due to being in Big 10...

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to think the PAC10 was a wuss conference (overall I thought they were over-rated), they have surprised me the last couple years producing some pretty good teams as a conference. (ASU, Cal, Oregon, USC)

The Big 10/11 has some traditional power house teams that have very much under performed the last few years... (Michigan, OSU, Penn St., Wisc, and usually a sprinkling of Ill)

The SEC seems to me to ALMOST ALWAYS be over-rated, but continually pump out amazing teams that win national championships.

The Big East seems to have 3-4 teams always circling the top 25 (Louisville, WV, Rutgers, S. Fla).

The ACC usually has a couple teams knocking on the Top 10 (BC, FSU, GT, VT)

The Big 12 (my conference) seems to be creeping back from obscurity with a few more teams than just the OU, NEB, and Texas of past.

Then there's the WAC, Conference USA , et. al. which seem to have 1 team which is the highlight of their conference.

My opinion is that the SEC is still the strongest conference there is, overall and in the individual high performing teams. Big 10 needs to find a way to be more competitive before they have a serious downturn (ie. see the Big XII in 2002-2007).

He just said one conference vs the other....no mention of particular sports.

Basketball? Baseball? Clemson is a golf school! :brickwall:

Meant it as football. Being from Louisiana(make all the assumptions you want), I'm a diehard SEC fan. BUT, with the way the Championships are set up, no one will ever really know what the dominatn conference is.

The BCS just leaves a lot of questions as to WHO is actually worthy of the championship. I'm all for a playoff of the conference winners or the top 2 conference winners. That way, you don't have an undefeated team unable to compete for the championship.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Take this past year.........the #1 team was knocked off how many times? LSU gets beat their last game then all of a sudden gets to play for the Championship game because the stars align and 2 teams get beat? I like the tournament bracket better like the NCAA basketball.

LSU wins the championship with(In my opinion)not the best quarterback in the NCAA, even though the team was worthy to be there.

I am a Big 10 atheletic supporter (woah, that sounds wrong) - start over -

I am a Big 10 fan. I voted SEC cuz c'mon. . .it is an obvious apples to oranges thing. By and large, the teams in the SEC have more talent on the field at any time, than comparable Big 10 teams. That said, i'd rather watch Iowa play Purdue, than Georgia play 'Bama. Sorry, i could care less about those (SEC) teams, and whether or not the "caliber" of play is so much better or watchable is debatable. I'm in a football pool every season, so more than a few college games i take in are meaningful only as to whether i get a point out of it or not. Otherwise, I'll be probably be watching the Big 10 games out of preference.

And remember the lame duck Wolverines took it to the vaunted Gators in a barn burner that was the Capital 1 bowl (whatever that is) - The Buckeyes blow chunks in the eyes of any self-respecting Michiganian anyways

but the big 10 nut huggers will have their #2 conf team play the bottom of the SEC, like South Carolina and claim victory over the whole conference?

it has been a long offseason, cant wait to see some pads cracking!

Road Guy, have to admit I have no idea what you're talking about. . . .Big 10 doesn't usually meet up w/ SEC except in bowl games

Wisconsin (4th in B10) played Tenn (1st SEC E), lost by 4

OSU (2nd in B10) played LSU (1st SEC W), lost by 2 touchdowns (Buckeyes blow chunks, fact of life)

UofM (3rd in B10) played UofF (3rd SEC E), won by a touchdown (no PAT)

yeah you wanna see nothing but 'W's for your conference, but none of these games were blowouts by either conf (like Patriots vs. Redskins) The SEC (& Pac 10) play much tuffer scheds typ than the Big 10, and have championship games (I think Pac 10 does anyways) - Big 10 tends to creampuff their way thru scheds, but still remain competitive (usually?) at the Bowl level

This argument comes up every year, and its not an argument. each game just needs played on the field.

The last 6 years have been a wash, and since 1900 the record head to head is 66-61-7 in favor of the SEC. Very even.

I gotta go thru 2007's games still.

PSU 20 Tenn 10

Wisc 17 Ark 14

UF 41 OSU 14

Big10 2-1

Wisc 24 Aub 10

UF 31 Iowa 24

Split 1-1

Iowa 30 LSU 25

Minn 20 Bama 16

UGA 24 Wisc 21

Big10 2-1

Iowa 37 UF 17

UGA 34 Pur 27

Aub 28 Wis 14

SEC 2-1

Mich 38 Fla 30

Aub 13 PSU 9

Minn 29 Ark 14

Big10 2-1

^ SEC's got some work to do, despite last year's so-called "domination" over the Big 10 :laugh:

The Big 10/11 has some traditional power house teams that have very much under performed the last few years... (Michigan, OSU, Penn St., Wisc, and usually a sprinkling of Ill)
The Big 12 (my conference) seems to be creeping back from obscurity with a few more teams than just the OU, NEB, and Texas of past.
Remember, we never really count Northwestern. . . [re: Big '11']

Big 12's had a lot of turmoil last few years; OU losing to Boise, Nebraska's coaching debacle, Texas winning Rose Bowl & then sucking - but you guys def had a heckuva year last year. Keeps things interesting, says this hater of SEC & Pac 10 -

^ SEC's got some work to do, despite last year's so-called "domination" over the Big 10 :laugh:

Remember, we never really count Northwestern. . . [re: Big '11']

Big 12's had a lot of turmoil last few years; OU losing to Boise, Nebraska's coaching debacle, Texas winning Rose Bowl & then sucking - but you guys def had a heckuva year last year. Keeps things interesting, says this hater of SEC & Pac 10 -
The new power of the Big 12, THE OSU team with a MAN for a coach, and TB Pickens in control!!!!!

"I'm 40! I'm a man! Come after me!". . .actually i totally supported him on that rant. People that speak w/ passion too often get criticized for it :rolleyes:

Did you guys watch the ESPYs last night? Timberlake had a skit with him asking questions and Pickens ranting back. It was pretty good.

Did you guys watch the ESPYs last night? Timberlake had a skit with him asking questions and Pickens ranting back. It was pretty good.
That was Mike Gundy ranting back. Pickens is the old guy that shows up on the news with tons of cash and selling alternative energy like his wind farms in West Texas. T Boone Pickens is the one paying for the updated stadium in the picture to the left. I got a background engineering tour last year of that place, and his own special suite and wet bar.

Back