Beth Lin Hartmann - Construction Depth Practice Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnata001

ODU Engineer
Reaction score
So I've posted 10 texts which were a combination of design standards and practice exams on Amazon, 8 of which have sold in less than 24-hours after posting.

2 of the 10 remain, one of which is the August 2012 version of Beth Lin Hartmann's Construction Depth Practice Exams for the Civil PE Exam.

I had 6-minutes solutions and Lindeburgs Practice Problems, which I never touched - literally never opened them.

For Hartmann's text, I went problem by problem, truly spending hours really comprehending the questions and their solutions. I really felt like this book trained me to think how NCEES wants you to think/analyze for the Construction Depth of CIVIL PE Exam.

I passed on the first time by making studying 3+ months out a full time job (+SoPE) and consuming every (almost) piece of literature I could find and buy through the internet.

Does anybody feel the same about Hartmann's Practice Exams being essential for a first-time pass on Construction Depth CIVIL PE?

Can anybody guess the other text that hasn't sold on Amazon within 24?

Hint: It's a design standard

Is it against NCEES agreement to state design standards that I did not use during the exam, if any?

Most useful was Beth Lin Hartmann Practice Exams. Least useful was construction depth reference manual. Goswami reference was used to answer 1 question, it was the only reference I had that contained information pertaining to that PM question. Mikes was very good to get a grasp on realistic problem types. School of PE was by far the most useful overall.

These texts gave me a pass on the first attempt:

General:

· Civil Engineering Reference Manual (CERM) for the PE Exam, 13th Edition , Michael R. Lindeburg

· Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Civil
Engineering Reference Manual, 13th Edition, Michael R. Lindeburg

· Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth, Second Edition

Aug 14, 2012 by Indranil Goswami

· Civil Engineering PE Practice Exams: Breadth and Depth Paperback 2012 by Indranil Goswami

· Mike's Civil PE Exam Guide: Morning Session Paperback 2010 by Mike Hansen

· A Dictionary of Construction, Surveying, and Civil Engineering by Christopher Gorse, David Johnston, Martin Pritchard Published: 2012

Construction Depth:

· PE Civil: Construction Sample Questions and Solutions, 2011, by NCEES

· The Construction Depth Practice PE Exam, by Mark DeSantis, learncivilengineering.com

· Construction Depth Practice Exams for the Civil PE Exam, by Beth Lin Hartmann, PE Paperback – August 19, 2012

· Construction Depth Reference Manual for the Civil PE Exam Paperback – August 1, 2011 by Thomas Korman PhD PE PLS

· Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Construction Problems 2012 by Elaine Huang PE

[SIZE=11pt]· [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Bob’s Rigging & Crane Handbook[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] Desk Size (7th Edition) Paperback – 2011[/SIZE]

· Construction Methods and Management (8th Edition) [Hardcover] 2010 by Nunnally, W., S., (NCEES references this book throughout their sample exams)

Construction Design Standards:

· ASCE 37-02 Design Loads on Structures During Construction, 2002, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA, www.asce.org

· ACI SP-4 Formwork for Concrete, 7th ed., 2005, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, www.concrete.org

· ACI 347 Guide to Formwork for Concrete, 2004, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, www.concrete.org (in ACI SP-4, 7th edition appendix)

· CMWB Standard Practice for Bracing Masonry Walls Under Construction, 2012, Council for
Masonry Wall Bracing, Mason Contractors Association of America, Lombard, IL,

· ACI 318-08 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete, 2008, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, www.concrete.org.

· OSHA 29 CFR Part 1926 Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry, (U.S. federal version), U.S. Department of Labor, Washington, D.C

Back