Best web conference app?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use the free join.me for hosting a phone conference and sharing the computer screen.  Its free and works pretty good. They have a pay option too, but I haven't needed anything it provides yet.

I just discovered today that my freeconferencecall.com account also allows me to screen share, record, and swap presenters with any participants.  They don't even have to download the plug-in; only me.  And all for free (you have to pay if you want more than 1 GB of storage).  Up to 1000 attendees on a conference call, not sure how many on the screen share.  I am going to give it a try tomorrow for a real training session, and see how it works for my federal team members.  

Well, we still have Windows 7 but, miracle of miracles, they updated us to Office 365 a few weeks ago.  To be honest, doesn't make any difference to me because for what I do there's not that much difference from Office 2013 to Office 365, but one of the things it did do is get rid of Lynx and changed us over to Skype for Business.  Seems to work the same though...IM's, share screens, online meetings, etc.

Yesterday I was even shocked to find a shortcut for Google Chrome pop up on my desktop.

Yesterday I was even shocked to find a shortcut for Google Chrome pop up on my desktop.
We're not supposed to have Chrome installed, but I've had IT take control of my desktop remotely on many occasions, and not one of them has ever said a word about it, even though its prominently displayed in the task bar.  That should tell you everything you need to know about their feelings about Internet Exploder.

I've used WebEx, GoTo Meeting, Skype, and Lync.  They all suck donkey balls.  Skype is ok.  Lync seems to work most of the time.  Goto is good if you can get it to install.  WebEx?  It's been too long to remember.

We're not supposed to have Chrome installed, but I've had IT take control of my desktop remotely on many occasions, and not one of them has ever said a word about it, even though its prominently displayed in the task bar.  That should tell you everything you need to know about their feelings about Internet Exploder.
The way things work here, this is something that they would have had to push to my computer.  I get the little "do you want to install Google Chrome" all the time when I go to Google to search for something but I'm never allowed to actually install it.  Sad thing is, they've got Chrome so neutered that I'll probably just keep using IE.

The freeconferencecall.com app worked very well for my team training today!  I give it two "thumbs up" although it was not seamless - my presenter had to log in as an admin to accept presentation rights and install the app, which was not required for the folks at our office (even though we don't have admin rights on our PCs). But all the non-presenter participants were able to view the slides and hear the audio without any problems.  

Back