Best transportation handbook to purchase?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJR

Reaction score
Hi All -

I am thinking of buying a transportation handbook/design manual for the PE, which is the best out there?

Leaning towards - Traffic and Highway Engineering by Garber and Hoel

Thanks!

Hi All -
I am thinking of buying a transportation handbook/design manual for the PE, which is the best out there?

Leaning towards - Traffic and Highway Engineering by Garber and Hoel

Thanks!
It's not really a handbook/design manual, but if I had to recommend ONE reference for Transprotation folks, this has to be it. Quite comprehensive, well written, good examples, good correlation with PE syllabus.

When I took the PE for the second time this past October, I wanted to arm myself with a good Transportation book. I thought I lost my trans book from college so I searched on the web/amazon and found the Traffic Engineering Book from Garber and Hoel. It is great! I found it useful preparation and the big day. In my opinion, the CERM does not do a good job for preparing you for the transportation depth. The All in One Guide by Goswami is a much better book for trans. Try getting the new NCEES books for the trans depth as well. I'm sure those will be helpful. Be sure to have the AASHTO Greenbook, MUTCD, HCM, Roadside Design Guide as well. I would print an index for each of these book as make a index book. This is what I did and it was extremely helpful and time saving. Good luck!

When I took the PE for the second time this past October, I wanted to arm myself with a good Transportation book. I thought I lost my trans book from college so I searched on the web/amazon and found the Traffic Engineering Book from Garber and Hoel. It is great! I found it useful preparation and the big day. In my opinion, the CERM does not do a good job for preparing you for the transportation depth. The All in One Guide by Goswami is a much better book for trans. Try getting the new NCEES books for the trans depth as well. I'm sure those will be helpful. Be sure to have the AASHTO Greenbook, MUTCD, HCM, Roadside Design Guide as well. I would print an index for each of these book as make a index book. This is what I did and it was extremely helpful and time saving. Good luck!

Thanks for the information guys!

Thanks for the information guys!

I have the third Edition of Traffic and Highway Engineering by Garber and Hoel. I understand that there is a fourth edition. Folks, do you know whether the tables , formulas ans figures in the third edition is current enough for the PE exam. Anxiously waiting for your thought/advice.

Sam

Back