Best Seismic and Survey Review courses in SoCal?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ykuhn

Reaction score
Does anyone have input on Seismic and Surveying Review courses in SoCal?

I live in San Diego and have already done the ASCE YMF course, which helped me pass the 8 hour, but not the other two. I'm looking for more comprehensive courses.

I was planning on Hiner's course for Seismic and Irvine Institute for the Survey seminar.

Has anyone taken either?

Thanks!

Mansour sucks. He is s terrible lecturer, he doesn't even get through all the material, and he just stole all of the Material from the Irvine Institute (Chelepati). In fact, I heard Chelapati has taken him to court over copyright issues. I took Mansour and then saw the Irvine Survey book, and they were the same. Irvine (Chelepati has been teachign this for 30 years, Mansour has been doing it for less than 10, who copied who?

Hiner and the Irvine Institute are exactly what you need, the problems are just like the exam problems. Do them oevr and over to get fast with the formulas and units.

It is almost like someone went in and memorized the exam problems and then gave them to Hiner and Irvine...the material is like magic. They don't teach civil engineering, they teach how to prepare for the civil pe exam only.

wdog

Does anyone have input on Seismic and Surveying Review courses in SoCal?
I live in San Diego and have already done the ASCE YMF course, which helped me pass the 8 hour, but not the other two. I'm looking for more comprehensive courses.

I was planning on Hiner's course for Seismic and Irvine Institute for the Survey seminar.

Has anyone taken either?

Thanks!

From whatever I gathered, I agree with Waterdog. I heard Chelapathy and Hiner's courses are the best for passing the 2nd day of the test. I guess they are worth the cash. I registered for Hiner's class as well and I do have Chelapthy's Survey book although I am not planning to take his class. so, I guess you are in the right direction.

Mansour sucks. He is s terrible lecturer, he doesn't even get through all the material, and he just stole all of the Material from the Irvine Institute (Chelepati). In fact, I heard Chelapati has taken him to court over copyright issues. I took Mansour and then saw the Irvine Survey book, and they were the same. Irvine (Chelepati has been teachign this for 30 years, Mansour has been doing it for less than 10, who copied who?
Hiner and the Irvine Institute are exactly what you need, the problems are just like the exam problems. Do them oevr and over to get fast with the formulas and units.

It is almost like someone went in and memorized the exam problems and then gave them to Hiner and Irvine...the material is like magic. They don't teach civil engineering, they teach how to prepare for the civil pe exam only.

wdog

wdog

Hello,

I spoke with Dr. Chelapati today about this. The statement about taking Mansour to court over copyright issues is now true. If there are any copyright issues with his books being copied from ours it would be a great help if someone could site an example so we can look into this more.

If you have any questions about our classes please feel free to ask. We will be more then happy to help.

Thank You,

Tom

wdog

Hi Tom,

I would like to take Dr. Chelapati's review course. Where can I sign up?

Sandra

Thanks everyone! These posts were very helpful!! I now know IIT and Hiner have the best courses.

Do you all think Hiner or IIT is better for the Seismic Course?

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone! These posts were very helpful!! I now know IIT and Hiner have the best courses.
Do you all think Hiner or IIT is better for the Seismic Course?

Thanks again!
According some of my co-workers you cannot go wrong with either. IIT has a better pass rate than testmasters (for the 8 hour Civil exam). People who have taken the IIT class give them 5 stars for all three exam reviews.( Civil, Seismic and Surveying).

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anyone is reading this thread and is still interested in Dr. Chelapati's license review seminars and manuals, we've got a new website: www.irvine-institute.org. Tom is no longer with us, but if I can be of any help, please let me know!

Thanks,

Catherine

Back