Bearing capacity equations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winner9459

Reaction score
I am taking geo breadth only, and I am not sure how in depth I have to go in regard of the bearing capacity equations. Since the bearing capacity factors are varying and are not consistent I am getting different results. Also the shape and depth corrections given in lindeburg are limited when compared to those given in School of PE. Ultimately, I am not getting the answer.

I decided to just go by the lindeburg formulas for this part. Even though my answers do not match the ones in school of PE. I hope that is ok. I would like to knownif anybody else faced the same dilemma? Did you solve your way around it, if so please let me know too.

Finally, how in depth should I go in regard of this topic for geo breadth.

Thanks.

I, too, have the same dilema.

It's those bearing capacity factors that are really tripping me up....in the CERM and other references (NCEES FE Reference handbook) the shape factors in Tergazi equation are different than in other study materials (specifically, the Goswami sample exams and the 6-minute solutions). It means I get a different answer, but luckily, the answer is never one of the choices A-D, so usually this tips me off that I need to use a different formula.

I hope I didn't severley confuse anyone...If I did, sincere apologies!!

I believe the capacity factors may be provided in the exam question.

The Goswami book explains that when the foundation is a strip, square, or circular, use Terzaghi's equations and be sure to use the proper one for the situation. For rectangular footings, us the general capacity equation.

I wouldn't worry too much about shape and depth correction factors, but know how to calculate factors of safety (FS) or know how to apply a given FS in determining the allowable bearing capacity.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll find that almost no question requires you to assume factors or coefficients - they'll be given specifically.

Back