Battery

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shima

Reaction score
Hi there,

Can someone explain the reason for using batteries in series verses parallel in a systemor vice versa. Thanks

Hi there,Can someone explain the reason for using batteries in series verses parallel in a systemor vice versa. Thanks

What kind of battery? What kind of system?

The short answer is stringing them in series increases terminal voltage, stringing them in parallel increases available amp-hours.

Hi there,Can someone explain the reason for using batteries in series verses parallel in a systemor vice versa. Thanks

The short answer is stringing them in series increases terminal voltage, stringing them in parallel increases available amp-hours.

Thanks Flyer, I am styding Dr. Chelapati book vol 1 for power exam. page 3-153 is about Batteries. I jsut wanted to know in general if we have a load which way is better to connect the load to the battery. I know it depends on lots of other factors. Your short answer is what I was looking for. Thanks

Yes, if you are adding batteries in parallel, you'll increase amp-hours. If you are asking about using the same number of batteries, then parallel increases available current; series increases voltage. The available amp-hours, i.e. energy, is going to be the same with X number of batteries regardless of the configuration.

For example, 3 12V 30A batteries in series will give you 36V @ 30A = 1080W. The same batteries in parallel would be 12V @ 90 A = 1080W.

Thanks peele1 for the details explanation and the example.

Yes, if you are adding batteries in parallel, you'll increase amp-hours. If you are asking about using the same number of batteries, then parallel increases available current; series increases voltage. The available amp-hours, i.e. energy, is going to be the same with X number of batteries regardless of the configuration.

For example, 3 12V 30A batteries in series will give you 36V @ 30A = 1080W. The same batteries in parallel would be 12V @ 90 A = 1080W.

Back