bathroom remodel

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dumb question.. I am going to use the same tile for my tub / shower in the basement as I want to use on part of the wall in the bathroom. Can you use the same mortar over sheetrock that you do for the wonderboard?
I was originally going to use green sheetrock to tile over in the shower then learned that while it is "code approved" I tore it out and put in wonderboard (or durarock stuff) after I had people warn me about mold.. but I want to take the tile from the shower and wrap it around an adjacent small wall and wondered if the same mortar can be used or if something different is needed to get the tile to mount to sheetrock......??
I did a tile backsplash at our old house and it was the same, the only difference was the size of the notches in the trowel you're supposed to use. Not sure about your case, but when I was doing it, it was much easier to put the mortar on the tile and then put it up rather than buttering the whole wall the way you usually do it on a floor.

dumb question.. I am going to use the same tile for my tub / shower in the basement as I want to use on part of the wall in the bathroom. Can you use the same mortar over sheetrock that you do for the wonderboard?
I was originally going to use green sheetrock to tile over in the shower then learned that while it is "code approved" I tore it out and put in wonderboard (or durarock stuff) after I had people warn me about mold.. but I want to take the tile from the shower and wrap it around an adjacent small wall and wondered if the same mortar can be used or if something different is needed to get the tile to mount to sheetrock......??
I did a tile backsplash at our old house and it was the same, the only difference was the size of the notches in the trowel you're supposed to use. Not sure about your case, but when I was doing it, it was much easier to put the mortar on the tile and then put it up rather than buttering the whole wall the way you usually do it on a floor.
Thanks for the tip. I have to tile the lower portion of a new shower pan over a marble type finish blending the two. I cut out the old shower pan, and placed a new one in our master bath after fixing a structural issue that caused the original pan to fail. Once done, we have to replace the vinyl floor with something (maybe vinyl squares). I did the pan last summer, but haven't gotten to finish it thanks to grad school.

I finally have a living room again. We got the shower walls in yesterday...not as daunting of a task As I thought it would be. The box was deceptive and the grunting the guys did when they delivered it made me think it was going to be super heavy. The only issue we had getting it up stairs was that we bumped the ceiling because we didn't have a whole lot of extra room.

although we need to get a couple more tubes of silicone to finish the trim and soap dishes. We used the four they sent with the kit to put up the walls.

you know i bought one of those tub / shower surrounds and the nice ones actually cost more than putting in tile, i bought one, took it home and then sort of looked at it puzzled and then took it back to Lowes... I think the simplicity of it scared me... but I couldnt quite get it to form right for one reason...

i need to update my basement thread, but I have my bathroom 100% done!

you know i bought one of those tub / shower surrounds and the nice ones actually cost more than putting in tile, i bought one, took it home and then sort of looked at it puzzled and then took it back to Lowes... I think the simplicity of it scared me... but I couldnt quite get it to form right for one reason...

i need to update my basement thread, but I have my bathroom 100% done!
the tub/shower surround is what we did for the the downstairs bathroom. This kit we had to special order so there was no returning if we didn't like it. But it is basically 3 sheets of fake granite with just a shower base (4-5" tall). we were going back and forth between the granite from U.S. Marble company and the fake granite from Swanstone. We went with the swanstone because of the weight difference. The side walls are about 5/8" thick and the back wall is about 3/8" thick.

woohoo!!! We have a functional toliet upstairs again. no stumbling in the dark down the stairs to use the bathroom int he middle of the night anymore.

The silicone should be dry/set, so now we can attach the waterhoses to the faucet.

Looks way more open now. still need to take pictures.

8K wow i wasn;t paying attention :party-smiley-048:
Since you have so much time to post, can you come finish the remodel of my bathroom?

Congrats on 8K.
haha

with all the holidays at the end of last year taking up so many weekends it has been almost 7 months since we started remodelingthat room!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
before and after pic

beforeafter.jpg

Is that one of those super-cool 8-bulb light bars above the sink in your Pre- picture? They (sort of) redid the upstairs hall bathroom in our new house but for some reason chose to leave one of those little gems in there. It's like brushing your teeth on the surface of the sun.

Is that one of those super-cool 8-bulb light bars above the sink in you rPre- picture? They "sort of) redid the upstairs hall bathroom in our new house but for some reason chose to leave one of those little gems in there. It's like brushing your teeth on the surface of the sun.
Its a six bulb light bar than we put 40W bulbs in when we moved in, so its like brushing your teeth at the equator. With no windows in the room it actually helped keep the room lit up. The light on fan just doesn't give off enough.

snick. looks nice. I noticed you went with the elongated bowl instead of the round ones. I got cheap when we redid our bathrooms and bought the "standard" sized one. I've regretted it ever since (but like I said I'm cheap, so I'm not going to scrap this one and replace it in the near future).

snick. looks nice. I noticed you went with the elongated bowl instead of the round ones. I got cheap when we redid our bathrooms and bought the "standard" sized one. I've regretted it ever since (but like I said I'm cheap, so I'm not going to scrap this one and replace it in the near future).
We love it!!

We had them at our old house were really bummed when we moved into the new house with the round standard toliets.

We splurged on the toliet. Enlogated was a must, but since it is like a once every decade+ purchase for one of the most used rooms in the house, we figured it was worth the money (after taxed I think is was just over $300). We are both on the tall side and the standard toliets are just too short, always felt like we were falling to the floor. The height of the seat is like 17 inches, std is 15 i think. It has the quiet close lid and the supposed coating on the bowl that prohibits that ring around toliet look...but we will see. we have very hard water.

I am ubber cheap too, but Mr snicks mid yr bonus last year allowed us to pick some "upgraded" stufff.

some mid almost there pics

my texture job

How did you do the texture? Did you rent one of those hopper thingies? Was it a pain in the butt?
Bought a 3 gal bucket of the texture we wanted, there were different kinds. I used a metal 6" drywall puddy knife (I tried the 12" kind but it wasn't going on nicely) to apply the texture mud to the ceiling in 2-3 ft squares then took a paint roller and rolled over it until I got the density I wanted. Moved ladder and repeated. It was a VERY BIG PITA, but it turned out nice. Took me about 5-6 hrs. the room wasn't large enough to justify the hopper things, its smaller than 6X8, maybe 5.25 by 7.

I've used similar stuff to touch up ceilings elsewhere in the house and just used the paint roller to apply it, but that didn't work out so well here...so it was more labor intenseive then I was originally planning.

It did turn out nice. good job with your putty knife.

Back