Ban Exam Prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
college should be banned too.

if you cant pass the PE right out of high school, then you just aren't smart enough to be an engineer. college is just a crutch.
Agreed.

I think we need Otter's help on this one...

EDIT: Otter needs to say it since he says it best. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my opinion. Exam prep shall be banned.

It is scary if new PEs need someone to hold their hand to pass.
27497610.jpg

Strange post.. any new or “old” PE would agree that certain level of preparation is necessary simply for the reason on limited time to take this exam.. everybody needs to brush up and exercise the necessary speed solving problems.. Unless you’re a genius

I totally agree...because in my day to day activities of designing low impact stormwater BMPs, I frequently design vertical curves and horizontal curves (in addition to the paving sections to go along with the road design) to supplement as filler material in my reports :/

30 hours? Why so much?

<--- also took construction, but I've been working construction for over 10 years now (and had 5yrs experience at the time I took it.)

^^

And the only reason you unwrapped it then was to fashion a hat from the shrink wrap.

^well, it was cold, and I've always heard, "Cold feet, wear a hat."

Plus, the MERM made a nice 'fort' to prevent that other guy at the table from peeking at my perfect calculations.

The proctors did not appreciate me using my left-over 2 hours of exam time in the morning for building a fort out of my neighbor's reference books. I would have used my own, but I would have had to buy them first, then have to drag them in with me...

Took the test in order to get a cool pencil.

snuck the pencil out of the exam room.

Lost said pencil.

Got a stamp that gives me liability as the replacement for the pencil.

Qualifications? yup or they wouldn't have given me the stamp.

Yer welcome.

Ironically, that's almost what happened in my case. I took the PPI online test review (which was truly atrocious), but had foot surgery in January, so didn't really start studying until the last week in February when I went back to work. Since I had been off work so long and had to play catch-up, I didn't get to study much, and also had to teach a 40 hour class. I ended up spending most of my time tabbing my book out instead of doing problems, but on exam day, I found that the tabs were worthless, so I did my entire Thermal Fluids ME exam by using the MERM index that I hadn't looked at until exam day... still passed, though!

Lesson learned? I should have photocopied the index and put it in a binder and taken the NCEES Practice Test instead of spending lots of time and money on the prep course.

Back