Balanced answers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was A when I took it. scared the crap out of me too. a run of 6-8 questions all with the same letter for the correct answer and I was certain of my selection too.
Any time I get 3 of the same letter I was certain one was wrong. No proof, just my gut feeling, and when I checked my math on those 3 there would always be one that I changed.

But you don't know how they do it? There are certainly tests that use a balanced answer key - you could google this if you'd like to learn more.
No, I already said I don't for sure know how they do it. I was simply giving my opinion of how they do. Perhaps rather than being repeatedly antagonistic, you could offer something constructive to the discussion. As for googling tests that use a perfectly balanced answer key... there's a lot of dumb things I can find on google, like chat roulette.

My suggestion is, rather than waste time counting up how many of each answer you have, figuring out which ones you're sure of, which ones you're not, and then somehow distributing the answers which aren't "used up".... I would look at each question independantly, eliminate any answers that you can, and then give your best guess of the one's remaining. If you have absolutely no idea then I would...

Choose E.

Don't be a slave to the machine.
Because it doesn't really matter.

at the risk of belaboring this point. It might be logical to have equal numbers of the same answers because if the scantron had a glitch and was incorrectly tallying one of the answers (A,B,C, or D), then all testers would have the same advantage (if the scantron marked an incorrect as correct) or disadvantage (scantron recorded a correct answer as wrong).

No, I already said I don't for sure know how they do it. I was simply giving my opinion of how they do. Perhaps rather than being repeatedly antagonistic, you could offer something constructive to the discussion. As for googling tests that use a perfectly balanced answer key... there's a lot of dumb things I can find on google, like chat roulette.
I'm antagonistic, but you implied that anyone who thought they used a perfectly balanced answer key was stupid and retarded?

Yes, which is why I'm "sure" that they don't specifically make the exact same number of each answer choice. If that were the case, you could determine the answer to a question based upon the number of answer choices selected on the other questions, and not on the question itself. That would degrade the quality of the exam, which is the exact opposite of what psychometrics hopes to achieve.
As someone else pointed out, that's only helpful if you know you've gotten every answered question correct. If you're that smart, who cares that you're given the last answer for free or the last two answers at a fifty percent discount?

Thought this might be relevant to the discussion to lighten things up a bit:

165867_488868834460707_1820131735_n.jpg

I'm antagonistic, but you implied that anyone who thought they used a perfectly balanced answer key was stupid and retarded?
Whoa now... I never implied that anyone who thought that was stupid or retarded. I simply expressed that I thought balancing the answers was retarded. There is a subtle difference. Perhaps "retarded" wasn't the best word choice and, for that, I apologize.

Thought this might be relevant to the discussion to lighten things up a bit:
Hey, don't get me wrong, I do the exact same thing whenever I don't know the answer to a question. My only point was that I wouldn't recommend people second guess their answers simply because they don't add up evenly.

This sounds like a "cut score" discussion, but only different. Oye ve! Mios dio?

not really but a series or pattern might occur, it could be or not on purpose by NCEES, who knows.

Maybe I am missing something.

1.) Why is this relevant in the first place?

2.) But 2, if the answers (A, B, C, D) are random and each have equal opportunity of being the answer, why wouldn't the amount of A,B,C,D's be pretty close to balanced?

It is relevant because in your guessing period, if you do a count of those already answered (with a high degree of confidence, of course - otherwise this has no significance) and IF you observe that one of those choices (A,B,C,D) has a markedly lower frequency than the other three, then you are better off putting down that choice for the unanswered questions.

I still contend that it is not relevant.

I agree it is not relevant although I had an almost perfectly balanced sheet both morning and afternoon and did not look at the balance until I was done. We should know in a week or so if there is anything to it.

Sounds like a Black Magic approach to pass the exam which may work if we were taking the Professional Alchemist Exam. I would just focus on doing a good job of reading the questions and logically deducing the answers down to two or three based on your judgment.

Back