Bad PE Exam Seat

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the afternoon, one proctor fell asleep at the table and started to snore, that only lasted about 2 minutes. I got to share my table with another person, nothing better then trying to fill in a circle and having someone shake the table while erasing. Our exam was in a hockey rink, minus the ice. They forgot to take into consideration that many of us had carts or hand trucks, had to lift everything up 8 inches and then drop back 8 inches, I wonder what would have happened if someone showed up in a wheelchair. The guy next to me had a 2" x 2" divot in the working area of his table. On the plus side, the double quarter pounder with cheese that I got after the test was real good!

I took the exam in Hartford CT. Not only were our proctors competent, but they were positive and seemed generally happy to help. I just assumed that they would all be professionally run - I guess I assumed wrong.

Ona, you're lucky. Where I tested for the PE on Friday, the morning session started 40 minutes late, with another half hour or so delay added on to the lunch break. We were required to get there at 7:15am and most folks weren't out of there until well after 6pm (I, happily, was enjoying beer and a burger by then). I had a similar experience with the FE a few years back, over an hour delay with getting started.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the exam in Rochester, NY. I would say there was a total of about 70 people taking it. We each had our own 8' table; they were only about 18" wide, but it was nice have the space to myself. Our test times ran over, but I didn't care, as long as I had my 4 hours in the morning and afternoon I was good! They also did not allow any water or food at all! I needed to get up and stretch for each session so I would use the bathroom and grab a drink from the drinking fountain really quick. I hated loosing the time, but I felt refreshed once I sat back down and think it was well worth the 5 minutes lost!

I took the exam in Rochester, NY. I would say there was a total of about 70 people taking it. We each had our own 8' table; they were only about 18" wide, but it was nice have the space to myself. Our test times ran over, but I didn't care, as long as I had my 4 hours in the morning and afternoon I was good! They also did not allow any water or food at all! I needed to get up and stretch for each session so I would use the bathroom and grab a drink from the drinking fountain really quick. I hated loosing the time, but I felt refreshed once I sat back down and think it was well worth the 5 minutes lost!

I took the exam in Albany. We had the same tables (8'X18") but we were all 2 to a table with about 2' in between tables. The worst part is that they only used half of the room and tables; there was more than enough room for everyone to have their own table. It seemed that they didn't employ enough proctors to space everyone out.

I thought it was really unfair they crammed us in there like that. I couldn't really utilize the resources I brought because I didn't have the room to access them. You can't control the testing environment but you also have to make it fair and even to the best of your ability. Stinks but what can I do now, other than complain here. :)

Back