Back To The Drawing Board Again

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only updated my copy of Graffeo with errata corrections because I intended to sell it back. Now I am wondering if I should keep it...

I would keep it. I am sure it is good for quick electrical reference. I bought the book over the weekend for $45 on ebay. No regrets though.

I am a 3 time loser in the PE Power exam too. I won 't give in. My scores have all been close, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. I think I can base my failures on the inability to devote the necessary study time to not only do problems, but also to understand them and then recognize them (and their variations) in the exam. I have now decided to wait for the April exam to give it another shot. Not only to give me a break, but to get through my crushing work schedule that made it very difficult to come home after 10 or 12 hours to then do some serious studying. I am hoping that I can pick it up after Thanksgiving. Got to keep pushing! Good luck to all that have got to go through this again and to those that don't have to, then I envy you!

I am a 3 time loser in the PE Power exam too. I won 't give in. My scores have all been close, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. I think I can base my failures on the inability to devote the necessary study time to not only do problems, but also to understand them and then recognize them (and their variations) in the exam. I have now decided to wait for the April exam to give it another shot. Not only to give me a break, but to get through my crushing work schedule that made it very difficult to come home after 10 or 12 hours to then do some serious studying. I am hoping that I can pick it up after Thanksgiving. Got to keep pushing! Good luck to all that have got to go through this again and to those that don't have to, then I envy you!
Best of luck to to you. I've been where you are and it sucks. Enjoy the summer and bust it out this winter!

I'm trying to figure a better more precise way to study again for this test I do feel I need to try study principle and not so much the exam problems .I not sure if I should take another review course I heard some people talk about the GA Tech but I'm not sure if it will help with better understanding Principal or doesn't it just help you try to do better problem solving does anybody have any input on this . ?

I'm trying to figure a better more precise way to study again for this test I do feel I need to try study principle and not so much the exam problems .I not sure if I should take another review course I heard some people talk about the GA Tech but I'm not sure if it will help with better understanding Principal or doesn't it just help you try to do better problem solving does anybody have any input on this . ?

I took the GA Tech course for the April exam and passed. While I do think it was a good course, and the binder was beneficial (I used it for a couple problems on the exam), I'm not sure if I necessarily needed the course or not. I would have used the binder more had I not had my Graffeo book. I used the Graffeo book as my main "go-to" source, but I probably would have marked up the GA Tech binder more if I didn't use my Graffeo book so much for notes and highlighting.

With that being said, I am the type that learns theory and principle from working practice problems. I can't just read chapters in a book and understand it. That's probably why I wasn't a fan of the Wildi or Grainger books. Nor can I sit there and watch recorded lectured without wanting to fall asleep. I did watch all the GA Tech lectures but it was hard to focus. I am better at self-learning by working through a problem, understanding why the answer is what it is, and how it can be asked a different way. Not just learning the correct answer for a given question, but why. I did watch all the Complex Imaginary videos on Youtube a few times and took notes and they helped me out a lot.

You have to figure out what works for you. Some people learn better by reading a chapter or watching a lecture or being in a class. Others learn better by working practice problems.

The why is what one needs to pass imo. The Graffeo book is invaluable, it really cuts through a lot of the bs that textbooks contain.

Kovz and Ken Thank you,

You just gave me some good insight I'm a working problem type person, but I think I have to do more of the how you can get this answer and breakdown every possible way you can work the problem by using the principle that apply to the problem. The thing that get me is I knew the type of problem that were presented on the exam but I guess I got stuck on alternative steps to solving the problems

Kduff70,

It is true that you need to focus on concentrating on understanding the principles and concepts of each topic. I believe the best way to achive this is that when you are solving problems or answering question is to try to identify those key principles and concepts used to solve the problems. Try not to get caught up in mathematical algorithms or particular problem types. This is important because when you go to the actual exam you will be trained to identify principles and concepts and not particular problem types or mathematical algorithms. Also don't waste to much time getting worked up on how some textbook solved some obscure convoluted problem during your study. Identify pkey principles needed to solve it but keep moving.

how u all practice NEC code question ? what really help in preparing NEC ?

can u please share the material that will help me improving my NEC part.

thank you :)

The NEC code drills familiarize yourself with the NEC. I have a copy forsale in the classifieds. I use the NEC at work so I am familiar with it. Also the Tom Henry Index is invaluable when using the NEC.

The NEC code drills familiarize yourself with the NEC. I have a copy forsale in the classifieds. I use the NEC at work so I am familiar with it. Also the Tom Henry Index is invaluable when using the NEC.
In addition the Mike Holt forums are a good resource as well if you have specific questions and/or care to discuss certain topics in greater detail.

Kovz and Ken Thank you,

You just gave me some good insight I'm a working problem type person, but I think I have to do more of the how you can get this answer and breakdown every possible way you can work the problem by using the principle that apply to the problem. The thing that get me is I knew the type of problem that were presented on the exam but I guess I got stuck on alternative steps to solving the problems
so true , understanding the concepts and fundamental is the only KEY TO PASS. i really tried to get dept of electromagnetic machinery and i did above average at least that made me happy ! so now i know there is no short cut. we have to get our concepts clear !

:plusone:

The Tom Henry index is great. I had an older one from the 2005 code that I got for free from someone on the boards. It worked fine and matched up with article numbers for the most part. But for the price of the new 2014, I would probably buy it because it's so cheap.

Like ZM83, I work with the code at work. But the CI NEC Drill book was helpful, and also working NEC practice problems in CI, Spin-Up, and NCEES exams. GA Tech Binder has a helpful section of practice problems for the code as well.

Yes I think Nec Drill helps and the tom henry I did ok on that section of the exam i guess that one postive thing

I took Georgia Tech course in October and passed. It is really good. The prof Dr. William Callen is really good. if you have any question and send him an email, he will answer within a day. after I passed I might say that you can do it without the course, but I am sure course helped me in understanding some concepts. it is not that expensive either. I think it was around $1000. For me it is money well spent. I am a kind of person who is lazy and struggles to concentrate if there is lot to read.

For me Graffeo worked great.

I used NEC code drill book, which helped me a lot on NEC problems.

I took Georgia Tech course in October and passed. It is really good. The prof Dr. William Callen is really good. if you have any question and send him an email, he will answer within a day. after I passed I might say that you can do it without the course, but I am sure course helped me in understanding some concepts. it is not that expensive either. I think it was around $1000. For me it is money well spent. I am a kind of person who is lazy and struggles to concentrate if there is lot to read.

For me Graffeo worked great.

I used NEC code drill book, which helped me a lot on NEC problems.
thank you all. okay so i am buying CI Code Drill and Tom HAnks stuff. perfect. one check for NEC. i will start studying in july .. till then i am trying to collect all the stuff and update my listing. :) thank you all.

I watched CI videos on youtube, did a lot of practice problems (NCEES practice exam a bunch, CI a few times, Graffeo twice, spin up twice), and just scoured the web for articles and any resources that people recommended on here.

Studied pretty hardcore for 3 months straight.

I also ate at Panda Express a lot. I got 3 separate fortunes that told me I was going to pass before the exam. Then about 3 weeks after I took the exam, I got one that said I was going to receive some very important information soon that would change my life.

Order fried rice and double orange chicken when you go.

Try this method and you will pass!

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched CI videos on youtube, did a lot of practice problems (NCEES practice exam a bunch, CI a few times, Graffeo twice, spin up twice), and just scoured the web for articles and any resources that people recommended on here.

Studied pretty hardcore for 3 months straight.

I also ate at Panda Express a lot. I got 3 separate fortunes that told me I was going to pass before the exam. Then about 3 weeks after I took the exam, I got one that said I was going to receive some very important information soon that would change my life.

Order fried rice and double orange chicken when you go.

Try this method and you will pass!
hahah that was the best and easy breezy advice i ever hear. hahah thanks for sharing :)

Back