Average Age to take FE/PE/SE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested to see split statistics between international and US born examinees.  Google says international students are 21% of engineering students.  Assuming all of them got their MS and took the FE at 23 like you, and even if some were already licensed and came over older, I'm still very surprised that the average FE age is over 26.

I'd be interested to see split statistics between international and US born examinees.  Google says international students are 21% of engineering students.  Assuming all of them got their MS and took the FE at 23 like you, and even if some were already licensed and came over older, I'm still very surprised that the average FE age is over 26.
Fair point, I was on the lower of end of the spectrum when it came to age.

Something else I have noticed is that non-engineers also want their hands on a license. This includes people who didn't have engineering degrees to begin with and worked as designers/drafters for a long period of time and then decided to get into engineering. In my 7+ years career, I personally know 3 people who have tried to pass the FE (all of them are 40+). To their disappointment, none of them have passed so far (besides the point), I think it's mostly because the FE is more diverse compared to the PE.  I am not sure if this is a common occurrence or just an anomaly.

i did find the FE to be more difficult than the PE

but i have architecture degrees with a focus in structural so i did not take any classes for all the other engineerings. 

I was 21 when I took the FE, and 26 when I first took the PE, but 27 when I passed the PE. I'll be 31 when I'm first to take the SE exam, but who knows when I'll pass!

We were actually required to take the FE to graduate for my undergrad... and for various reasons, I've procrastinated on the SE, so here I am at 35 taking my first shot.

Interesting topic.

27 - FE

32 - PE

35 - SE

About right.

If I did not spend five-year in graduate school, the number should be 22, 27, 30 though.

Last edited by a moderator:
FE - 22 (in school)

PE - 27 (as soon as possible with the required experience)

SE - 32/33 for the vertical and lateral portions respectively.

FE - 22

PE- 26

SE- 27

California Seismic and Surveying - 28

My goal was to try and pass all the exams as fast as I could, before I got too busy with life. I admire some of my coworkers dedication who manage to study for the SE with a two year old running around. The year and half of studying for the PE, SE Gravity, and then SE Lateral, back to back to back was not super fun. Glad it's over with.

I might be raising the Avg a little.

48 FE

49 PE

I waited 24 years to take the FE. I wouldn't suggest anyone do that.

Maybe SE at 51. 

After coming to USA  at age 30

31 FE

34 PE

38 SE

39 CA Seismic & Survey

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 17762

Just saw this graphic in the NCEES 2019 squared report and I thought that it was interesting. Over the last 4-5 years people are waiting slightly longer to take the FE exam and are taking the PE exam slightly earlier than before. Any ideas on why this is? For the PE exam possibly states relaxing laws on when you are able to take the PE exam? Also it looks like average age to take the SE exam is about 36. Anyone willing to volunteer their age? I will be 30 at this October's test.
Isn’t the blue line meant to be S.E. instead of PE Structural? I know NCEES categorizes SE exam under PE, but this graphic’s labeling can be also misleadingly construed as PE with Structural in the PM module of the PE Civil exam.

Could the 2008 meltdown be a reason for the FE, PE trends? Lack of motivation from inability for grads to find work easily dampened their taking the FE. As things picked up, they got the experience needed and lost no time and took the PE to consolidate their standing with their employers. Those who were already employed and were laid back on taking the PE were also wanting to be more secure in the marketplace, shed their lack of interest and took it sooner than they would have. Plausible?

I actually don't understand why they've changed the "SE" to the "Structural PE".  Is that just a NCEES thing?

Back