Attracting Engineers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of people who I meet for the first time have no idea I'm an engineer. Then I'm told that I'm "so normal" - as if all engineers wander around with a pocket protector like Dr. Frink on the Simpsons.
funny . . . . im told all the time i am NOT a "typical engineer" . . . . now whats THAT supposed to mean?!

That same day he found out that I was an engineer and he actually called me back a short time later to apologize because he was scared of what engineers are capable of.
You ought to have a background in weapon design. THAT really gets to some people.

That same day he found out that I was an engineer and he actually called me back a short time later to apologize because he was scared of what engineers are capable of.
I think it's kinda nice to have that level of mental intimidation over some people...
He probably saw that movie "Arlington Road". Of course he might be afraid of his kids teachers after seeing "The Substitute". Or archaeologists after seeing "Indiana Jones".

funny . . . . im told all the time i am NOT a "typical engineer" . . . . now whats THAT supposed to mean?!
I get this too...and then people follow it up with, "But you have so much personality!" Um, thanks?

We had to take this class in college called Engineering Ethics and Economics and the ethics part said there were only four professional careers- doctors, lawyers, engineers, and clergy. If that's true, we're the only group that hasn't gotten our own TV sitcom yet. Maybe that's why we're not bringing them. Just picture it now...instead of Grey's Anatomy it would be Bernoulli's Equation...steamy!

Good point .. although I have heard there is some subtle (or not so subtle) difference in terminology but I haven't heard a definitive explanation yet.
Here ya go...

Normie: A normal person. Blah.

Geek: An outwardly normal person who has taken the time to learn technical skills. Geeks have as normal a social life as anyone, and usually the only way to tell if someone is a geek is if they inform you of their skills.

Nerd: A socially awkward person who has learned technical skills due to the spare time they enjoy from being generally neglected. Their technical knowledge then leads normies to neglect them even further, leading to more development of their technical skills, more neglection, etc. This vicious cycle drives them even more into social oblivion.

Dork: A person who, although also socially awkward, doesn't have the intelligence to fill the void with technical pursuits, like a nerd, and is forced to do mindless activities. Almost always alone. Usually with an XBox. Like playing Halo. All day. Every day. Not even understanding how the Xbox is making the pretty pictures on the screen. Very sad.

example: "If you met me at a party, you would have no idea that I enjoy finite element analysis-based inviscid flow modeling using computational fluid dynamics. That's because I'm a geek."

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow frazil, that is like total poetry!! :)

Even though, I am feeling an awkward turtle moments! :p

JR

Nerd: A socially awkward person who has learned technical skills due to the spare time they enjoy from being generally neglected. Their technical knowledge then leads normies to neglect them even further, leading to more development of their technical skills, more neglection, etc. This vicious cycle drives them even more into social oblivion.
Ouch, that hits close to home.

But at least I'm not a Dork.

Here ya go...Normie: A normal person. Blah.

Geek: An outwardly normal person who has taken the time to learn technical skills. Geeks have as normal a social life as anyone, and usually the only way to tell if someone is a geek is if they inform you of their skills.

Dork: A person who, although also socially awkward, doesn't have the intelligence to fill the void with technical pursuits, like a nerd, and is forced to do mindless activities. Almost always alone. Usually with an XBox. Like playing Halo. All day. Every day. Not even understanding how the Xbox is making the pretty pictures on the screen. Very sad.

example: "If you met me at a party, you would have no idea that I enjoy finite element analysis-based inviscid flow modeling using computational fluid dynamics. That's because I'm a geek."
I guess that I am also a geek, cuz I understood everything in the exmple, but had friends (normies) drive up from Denver for a visit last weekend.

I wonder if this add campaign actually worked...

engineer.jpg

I never knew that being an engineer and having sex are mutually exclusive... good thing I am no longer an engineer!

Now if I could only find someone to....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back