At what point does experience matter more than your major in college/

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - we hire designers and they "engineer". Since most of the stuff we design is also manufactured by us, we are usually exempt from the PE requirement.

Exactly, I am looking for a job as an Engineer, I'm not claiming that I already am one. Like I said it is common practice in my state for EITs with BSME degrees to have the title "Engineer". There is a distinction between that and a PE. If I say I am looking for a job as a Designer, they're going to read it as looking for a job doing CAD. The point is it's just semantics. I don't care what my title is, I just want to do something more technical than drawing pictures on the computer. My question was about my chances of getting that job, not what it technically should be called.
i think the issue here is that you are applying for jobs as an engineer. In all reality, you are saying you are an engineer by applying to that position. It would be the same if I applied for a position as an accountant, even though I have an engineering degree. What you would want to look at is the requirements for the position. Most of the time an engineering position requires an engineering degree.

Now thats not to say you cannot apply. What you would need to do it write a really good cover letter explaining that you have a Math degree, have experience at a MEP firm, and are pursuing the BSME degree on your own time and will be completed with it in X months. Months always seem to work better. If you say "2 years", that sounds really far away, but if you say "20 months", people are more apt to think of it as short term.

Honestly I think you might have a hard time. There are a lot of out-of-work engineers, graduates, etc etc etc. Companies have their pick of the litter right now. If you company is willing, see if they will help with the costs of school and stick it out. Its not the design you want to do, but its still good experience. It may be different where you are, but I value the advise of my drafters/designers (CAD guys) as I can draw it on paper, but assembling it in CAD puts a whole new light on it and they tend to know if things go together well or not. Plus, you can make some good contacts at your current position that can help you in the long run.

I would not expect a lot of responses from companies, but I know others on the board have non-engineering degrees and are now licensed. It seems like it would be easier to be almost complete with an actual engineering degree and selling yourself as an engineer than going off of 5-years of experience, which isn't huge.
Thanks, that is helpful. I do plan on continuing with school even though I could technically get the PE in my state just as quickly without it. That's why I'm waiting to get into a master's program before I start looking. I think once I'm in that puts me at the same level academically as someone with a BSME since most of my peers in class would have BSME degrees. So I should be able to get a better job while I'm doing the MSME program, and not have to continue doing CAD until I finish the program. Would you agree?
I'm not so sure I actually agree. I think you'll definitely be able to get a better job WITH the MSME, but not while pursuing it.

Are you unhappy with your current employment and really wanting out? Can you manage to start a new job and pursue a Masters degree?

This sounds like a situation where to find a new "engineer" job, you'll have to network your way into it. You can't just apply for a job posted on a job board, because you have to check the 'Math" box and not the "Mechanical Engineering" box for your education. I think what you're looking for is a position with a small firm that doesn't specifically have a published opening right now, but would hire the right person if he/she came knocking. It just may take a lot of knocking to find that company. As a former GM at a small manufacturing company, your situation would have been attractive to me. You didn't take the direct route, but you seem to have figured out what you want to do now. Additionally, you have gotten the grunt work experience that will make you appreciate the lead engineer role more. Just my $0.02.

Another thing

After you get your degree/PE you might have to leave your company anyway...as they could potentially still view you as the 'non-engineer guy' and continue to treat you the same.

I'm looking for some career advice here. I've been in the MEP Engineering field for 5 years, since graduating college with a degree in Math. My official title is "Mechanical Designer" but what that basically means is "CAD guy". I also do load calcs, static pressure calcs, survey work, and generally don't work from redline markups like a straight "cad guy" would, but my primary role on projects is the drawings, and I work for a senior engineer. Meanwhile in my company there are kids straight out of school with engineering degrees that are doing their own designs, working under project managers and department heads, which is what I want to be doing. They've told me I'd need to get an Engineering degree to move up to that position, so I've been taking classes at night that are pre-requisites for grad school and I'm trying to get in to a MSME program. If that falls through my backup plan would be a BSME degree which would be my second BS degree, but either way it's going to take three more years to finish taking classes at night, and I feel I'm ready to design my own systems now. I passed the FE exam in a state where they don't make you wait to graduate to give it to you, so I am a registered EIT
So I'm trying to get a sense for whether what I'm asking for is reasonable. I plan on getting my resume out there to see for myself, but not until after I get in to a Master's program so I don't have to interview looking like an undergrad. In the meantime I'm looking for some input on what other people have experienced and witnessed. In every state, with enough experience you can get your PE without any college degree, but you need to show you have experience doing actual designing, so there must be some point where your experience starts to count for something. My question is when? If I start sending out resumes saying I'm looking for a job as an Engineer based on my 5 years of experience, should I expect to get a lot of responses?
I worked with a math major in Colorado who got his PE with 8 years if qualified engineering experience. You can do it..

If you were calculating and figuring then you were engineering and not just CAD. It counts for experience. Some states allow math and science degrees so long as there was enough math involved for PE. Contact your state and go get your PE!
In my state I'd need 12 years experience before I can take the PE, or 4 years experience after receiving a BSME which will take 3 more years. Either way it will be 7 more years (5 years I already have + 7 more = 12 years, eligible by experience or 5 + 3 more to complete BSME + 4 more). So in a sense the BSME isn't worth anything as far as the PE is concerned. Until that day comes, do I have a chance elsewhere to work as an EIT doing his own design?
What state are you in?

I worked with a math major in Colorado who got his PE with 8 years if qualified engineering experience. You can do it..
Did you work with him before he got his PE? What type of work was he doing? And just prior to taking the test what was his position in the company compared those with less experience and an engineering degree? Was he assigned to projects as the engineer (as in the person who is designing the systems for that project) or was he assisting a senior engineers with their designs? It is very delineated where I work; every project is assigned a mechanical engineer (who may or may not be a PE), an electrical engineer (only one electrical project engineer in our office is a PE), and a CAD person. Which category would he have fallen into, with 5 years experience, 3 years before taking the PE?

I'm not so sure I actually agree. I think you'll definitely be able to get a better job WITH the MSME, but not while pursuing it.
Are you unhappy with your current employment and really wanting out? Can you manage to start a new job and pursue a Masters degree?
I wouldn't say I'm unhappy, so I'd need a better position to quit. I would definitely not make a lateral move. But I would say I'm underutilized and have met the resistance of "we'll move you up once you get your degree, not before" in spite of the other credentials (EIT and LEED AP) I've acquired while working here, and in spite of the fact that my Math degree is far more related to Engineering than the education required to do CAD. If it really is that cut and dry, I can afford to take a year off to go to school full time, but logically that just doesn't seem like a good idea. Directly applicable work experience is the most valuable thing in actually making me a good engineer, whether or not it's worth anything in getting my PE (in my state only work done after graduation counts, unless it is 12 years or more).

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you work with him before he got his PE? What type of work was he doing? And just prior to taking the test what was his position in the company compared those with less experience and an engineering degree? Was he assigned to projects as the engineer (as in the person who is designing the systems for that project) or was he assisting a senior engineers with their designs? It is very delineated where I work; every project is assigned a mechanical engineer (who may or may not be a PE), an electrical engineer (only one electrical project engineer in our office is a PE), and a CAD person. Which category would he have fallen into, with 5 years experience, 3 years before taking the PE?
Have you kept in touch with him? If he's willing, you could PM me his email, I'd like to talk to him.

Have you considered Craigslist? I hear they have pretty good leads there and you can market yourself ... for free.

JR

Have you kept in touch with him? If he's willing, you could PM me his email, I'd like to talk to him.
This was an MEP firm. He started off as a CAD tech.. He progressed into a designer and became a project manager at the company before taking the exam. I didn't work with him 3 years before the exam, two years prior, he was classified as an Engineer II or maybe even project engineer - I didn't follow his career that closely.

I have not kept in touch with him since I left the company a couple of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad started as a draftsman and went to night school 2hrs away and got his engineering degrees. That took 17 years to graduate!!!!!! Then he got his P.E. License! He stayed at the same company the entire time and retired from there at 55yrs old.

In my opinion your degree stops to matter when some of these happen:

1. Get your PE

2. Can win work based on your name

3. 5-7 years experience

If you can get a PE with a Math degree in your state (& a lot I think you can) I think the work experience will start to pay off, its just such a shitty time to be looking for work...

The "Work" experience means squat to an employer. I'm not meaning that there's no value to it, but there's no market for someone trying to be an engineer that has "experience". You may be able to find a great paying job (I always was), but the bottom line is to get to where you want to be, you're going to have to pass the PE exam in the state you wish to work in.

Back