Are federal workers overpaid

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there are any non gov employees on this board that have over 6 weeks of vacation please let me know where you work so I can send in an application.
Six weeks of vacation is not earned in a year. It is earned at a rate depending on length of service. The amount that can be carried over is 240 hours, but it must be earned and built up first.

If you want to apply for a gov job, go to www.usajobs.com.
I have.

If there are any non gov employees on this board that have over 6 weeks of vacation please let me know where you work so I can send in an application.
Six weeks of vacation is not earned in a year. It is earned at a rate depending on length of service. The amount that can be carried over is 240 hours, but it must be earned and built up first.
Back when i was a gov, my AL generally hovered around 120 hours. I once got to 150, but that was a fluke.

IIRC, it was earned at 4hrs/2weeks for 0-3yrs service, 6hrs/2weeks for 3-15yrs, and 8hr/2weeks for over 15.

The pay and agency match are far better than I got anywhere else. I just hated my job and where I lived when i quit working for the gov.

Just a general public versus private note: There is always a call for equity when the job market is bad. "Well we all have to take a hit ... government included."
But when times are good and salaries in the private sector are going up 10% per year, nobody says, "Well we all have to get 10% raises ... government included."
While a gov employee may only get 2-4% per year, they are also getting a consistent Step increase, cola increase and a bonus. All said and done, almost always over 5%, sometime near 10%...Good economy or bad.

I am a government employee.

I have topped out, so no step increase. Nobody in my union has ever got a bonus. We have not got a COLA increase since January 2009.

Average pay in my district is around 75k and they went on strike last year...
are you talking about teachers still? 75K for 9 months a year!!!! I'm in the wrong profession/location
Must be a union state. Here in my area, teachers are retiring with twenty eight years service making less than 50K. And its actually 10.5 months out of the year. And they usually have to take classes during that 1.5 months (sometimes on their own dime, sometimes not) to maintain certification.

I think at the top the teachers make around 65,000 here in Oregon and yes we are a Union state, we maybe the strongest Teachers Union in the nation and on average our public schools are real dogs.

Just a general public versus private note: There is always a call for equity when the job market is bad. "Well we all have to take a hit ... government included."
But when times are good and salaries in the private sector are going up 10% per year, nobody says, "Well we all have to get 10% raises ... government included."
While a gov employee may only get 2-4% per year, they are also getting a consistent Step increase, cola increase and a bonus. All said and done, almost always over 5%, sometime near 10%...Good economy or bad.

I have topped out, so no step increase. Nobody in my union has ever got a bonus. We have not got a COLA increase since January 2009.
I haven't had a increase since April of 2008, :) but I am in the private sector.

You didn't get a COLA for '10? I thought that was the last one before they nixed it for the next two years.

I am municipal, not federal.

Our old deal expired on 12-31-2009 so the only increase anybody in our union can get right now is step increase. But like I said above, I have topped out.

Matter of fact, due to no employers hiring and no employees changing jobs, all but one of our union members has topped out.

Latest posts

Back