Architectural Engineering PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course I understand what AE is -- they're bascally coordinators & facilitators.

As a state licensed HVACR contractor and, more importantly, the ONLY person in Florida licensed as both a state certified HVACR contractor and as a PE, AE is not engineering -- and I have 30 years of engineering experience to back it up.

I don't think you understand what an AE really is. We aren't an architecture student that just took an extra class or two. Yes, it's true, I had to take some architectural design courses. I even had to take a couple of architectural history classes. That was in addition to my steel design classes, concrete design classes, timber, masonry, analysis classes (matrix methods), structural dynamics (in addition to basic staics and dynamics and all the other basic engineering courses), programming, foundations, soils... Oh yeah, acoustics and mechanical systems just to get a flavor for the other AE options. The only thing I didn't take was a AASHTO class. No clue about bridges going into the SE1.
An AE's education is somewhat parallel to an architect's, that's true. I like to say we had to take a couple of their design classes (to realize it really is just a bunch of pretty lines) and they had to take our structural materials classes (to realize it isn't pushing a button). I would be scared shitless if the architects I went to school with were responsible for the structure (like they were no too long ago!). The were not good with the numbers and we weren't good with the pretty part of design. We helped them and they helped us -- it taught us about the relationship we will have/endure/suffer through once we get out of school.

My office is full of AEs and Civils. The AEs come out of school knowing the processes/steps/relationships required to put a building together as well as the numbers. They know the building codes and how to run the numbers and especially detailing. The civils here in the office really know the numbers behind the design, but they are unfamiliar with the building codes and detailing is especially foreign to them (to start with). My buddy is a CE and I'll be honest, he does know some of his materials stuff better than me and the other AEs, but it took a little while for him to get comfortable with the codes and detailing.

If I had to do it again, I would still be an AE, but I would have taken an AASHTO class as an elective.

I cannot talk about the other tracts that an AE can go. Structural was the only option at my university and I didn't even know of the other tracts until I went to a national AEI conference. My education on acoustical and mechanical was limited to a single course, while I know that if a AE went the mech'l route, they would have all of their "upper level" classes going over thermo properties and HVAC systems just as mine covered structure.

That's why I took the SE1 not the AE. Structural is what I do, and I'm fairly good at it honestly -- so please don't imply that my education and/or ability is somehow second hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
That kind of talk could get you dispared or better yet, land you in a defamation lawsuit -- I'll have my lawyers contact the site administrator for your remark.

GT_ME, either tone down your "asshole-ness" or hit the road.
Thanks

That kind of talk could get you dispared or better yet, land you in a defamation lawsuit -- I'll have my lawyers contact the site administrator for your remark.
Hey Mr. Sensitive;

He did not say screw you, or fuss you, or call you names. He just asked you to tone down your arse-holeness. That is pretty much the "feel" of almost everybody reading your posts. You come here with a superiority complex and trashing engineers in an engineer's message board. What did you expect? An altar? Not going to happen.

Guess what dude. You are not the only GT engineer here. The only thing is that you are the only arrogant GT engineer here(actually...the only one from GT I know with that kind of stupid behavior and I know more than a few)

Don't be an idiot. That can be very hard to do for you since probably will have to reborn, but give it a try.

VT, I think the time is coming. You know what I mean.

Dude cool down. You're making a fool of yourself.First of all you were the one that started to bring down the thread to the level it went. A member posted valid information and was answering questions and helping. Then there you came saying that AE wasn't engineering and even ridiculizing the field calling it Architorture. Dude, you can say whatever you want here and try to make people believe you have 30 or more years of experience. I say yeah right. You're a High School student using your Mom's computer. Go to hell dude.

Quick research on top engineering programs -- Architecture isn't considered engineering in any of them.

If you research the top engineering schools curriculums in Architecture ( MIT, Stanford, Illinois, & Georgia Tech), you'll see that Architecture isn't considered engineering.

Moreover, if you look at their programs, Architorture students (this is what Arch students at my school called it) don't take real engineering courses at all; for example, the highest calc course they take is calc 2, & Physics 2 (I'm sure it's not calc based Physics) -- this is essentially freshman based courses at real engineering curriculums -- didn't see either calc 3 & 4 or differential equations, which alone are the mathematical foundations of engineering -- and you certaintly can't attempt Thermodynamics without differential equations.

Furthermore, of the schools that offer AE as a curriculum, none are in the top 50 in engineering rankings -- AE is basically a technology program.

Sorry, but based on my professional & academic experience, Architects aren't real engineers -- they don't have the academic credentials to form a sold foundation in engineering that, as a result, surreptitiously undermines their creditability as true engineers.

:smileyballs:

If you research the top engineering schools curriculums in Architecture ( MIT, Stanford, Illinois, & Georgia Tech), you'll see that Architecture isn't considered engineering.
You see, this is why you are stupid. Nobody is arguing that Architecture is engineering. There is a degree called Architectural Engineering that IS engineering. They take the core engineering classes (electrical, mechanical, math, physics, etc.), then they take specialized courses in some aspect of architectural engineering.

This is very similar to the difference between CS and Software Engineering at Rose-Hulman (which if you really want to whip it out and measure, is a MUCH better engineering school for undergrad degrees than any of the schools you listed). Computer Science students only took programming classes, and therefore, didn't get an engineering degree. However, the Software Engineering students took the core engineering classes, then specialized in computer science.

1. What the hell does "dispared" mean.

2. Road Guy IS the site administrator, so you're barking up the wrong tree by threatening to use the admin against him.

This guy is full of it and himself. He keeps repeating the same thing again and again. Nothing different. Reminds me another idiot that used to post here.

I think it is VT's time

I don't appreciate words like idiot either.

My statements are based on facts not opinions -- Nobody, and I mean nobody, has the right to use disparaging words like "idiot" "ass-holeness" in a professional forum.

Of course my experience & education are superior -- they're backed up by the top organizations in the world, as well as the top professors in academia.

If some of you think my statements are offensive -- good -- I'm basing my arguments on current engineering programs and my superior experience & education.

More importantly, if you adress my facts on AE & the current curriculums in the USA , you'll find that AE is not engineering.

That is what my argument is based on.

Hey Mr. Sensitive;
He did not say screw you, or fuss you, or call you names. He just asked you to tone down your arse-holeness. That is pretty much the "feel" of almost everybody reading your posts. You come here with a superiority complex and trashing engineers in an engineer's message board. What did you expect? An altar? Not going to happen.

Guess what dude. You are not the only GT engineer here. The only thing is that you are the only arrogant GT engineer here(actually...the only one from GT I know with that kind of stupid behavior and I know more than a few)

Don't be an idiot. That can be very hard to do for you since probably will have to reborn, but give it a try.

VT, I think the time is coming. You know what I mean.

More importantly, if you adress my facts on AE & the current curriculums in the USA , you'll find that AE is not engineering.
Well, ABET, NCEES, the faculty of CalTech SLO, UC Boulder, Drexel, Illinois Tech, K-State, Kansas, Miami, Milwaukee S of E, Mizzou, Nebraska-Lincoln, NC Tech, OK State, Oklahoma, Penn State, TN State, UT Austin, and Wyoming universities, and nearly every member of this forum think your "facts" are wrong. And I will take the word of every single one of them over yours.

If some of you think my statements are offensive -- good -- I'm basing my arguments on current engineering programs and my superior experience & education.
Maybe you should use some of your superior education and experience to:

1. Figure out how to spell disbarred.

2. Ask one of your lawyers just exactly how to go about disbarring an engineer. It's kind of hard to revoke a status that doesn't exist for us.

3. Ask one of your lawyers to give you a definition of defamation.

RG described a behavior you exhibit. He didn't directly call you anything. And even if he did call you a name, there is ample evidence in this thread alone that you are best described as the North end of a South bound horse.

My statements are based on facts not opinions -- Nobody, and I mean nobody, has the right to use disparaging words like "idiot" "ass-holeness" in a professional forum.

Of course my experience & education are superior

I'm basing my arguments on current engineering programs and my superior experience & education.

And here we go. Keep repeating the same thing over and over. If that is not an idiot behavior you can take credit on redifining it.You know mate? A professional will respect the opinions of the others without trying to ridiculize a profession like AE. I remember your post about not being able to type after your accident. Was that worthy of a professional? The only certified HVAC/PE in the state of Florida?

I give a hoot if you appreciate words like idiot or not. Before me and many of the members here you are just that; an arrogant idiot. Not because we decided it but because you came behaving like one.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....there you go. It is not that hard....isn't it?

Oh yeah!!!I know what you are going to reply...."my superior blah blah blah blah" and "based on my superior blah blah blah"

Superior idiot-ness...and that is the bottom line. The day you apologize to the member who started the thread for you being an arse, that day the way you are seen here might change.

It is my measured opinion that you are an idiot, who is full of assholeness. I would guess that pretty much everyone else here thinks the same thing...probably most everyone who has come in contact with you. Do you think it's just a concidence that you cannot get along with anyone? And for someone who loves to crow about his superior credentials, you sure a dense mf. How many times must someone explain to you the differnce between architecture and architectural engineering. I'd guess you are deliberatley being obtuse just to show off your assholeness. You wanna file a law suit? Go ahead, because law is apparently another area in which you are painfully ignorant. AE - Architecture Engineering. That's ENGINEERING, you dense moron.

Of course my experience & education are superior -- they're backed up by the top organizations in the world, as well as the top professors in academia.

That is what my argument is based on.

So how come almost all of those on your list don't offer AE?

As I stated earlier, the one's that offer AE are extremely low-rated engineering schools -- if rated at all.

Well, ABET, NCEES, the faculty of CalTech SLO, UC Boulder, Drexel, Illinois Tech, K-State, Kansas, Miami, Milwaukee S of E, Mizzou, Nebraska-Lincoln, NC Tech, OK State, Oklahoma, Penn State, TN State, UT Austin, and Wyoming universities, and nearly every member of this forum think your "facts" are wrong. And I will take the word of every single one of them over yours.

As I stated earlier, the one's that offer AE are extremely low-rated engineering schools -- if rated at all.
Pullease... I mean ....who really needs a lowly lame dumb engineering school right? I always thought that being a flailing virulent floor techie with an Associates in both Applied Science & Physical Science is the ultimate way to go ...right!!! Your opinion has the weight of toilet paper....(seriously... is this a little high schooler writing all this stuff?). Architectural Engineers are ENGINEERS as determined by the States and accompanying accredited curriculums - enough said.

Uh...you just really displayed your stupidity. ALL of those programs listed have AE degrees that are ABET accredited. In fact, I got their names off of the ABET website. Thanks for playing!

Let's leave the troll alone. He's not worth the time you spent replying. He just wants to ruffle some feathers.

GT calls for help

xuf011822.gif

uf011823.gif

xuf011825.gif

xuf011826.gif

all from http://userfriendly.org/

Quick research on top engineering programs -- Architecture isn't considered engineering in any of them.

Moreover, if you look at their programs, Architorture students (this is what Arch students at my school called it) don't take real engineering courses at all; for example, the highest calc course they take is calc 2, & Physics 2 (I'm sure it's not calc based Physics) -- this is essentially freshman based courses at real engineering curriculums -- didn't see either calc 3 & 4 or differential equations, which alone are the mathematical foundations of engineering -- and you certaintly can't attempt Thermodynamics without differential equations.

Furthermore, of the schools that offer AE as a curriculum, none are in the top 50 in engineering rankings -- AE is basically a technology program.

Sorry, but based on my professional & academic experience, Architects aren't real engineers -- they don't have the academic credentials to form a sold foundation in engineering that, as a result, surreptitiously undermines their creditability as true engineers.

:smileyballs:
Dude you sound really bitter. Maybe the information you have is outdated after 30 years (things have definately changed)... maybe just misinformation for present day. I finished up in 2004 with an AE degree at an accredited institution. Our econ class was in the IE dept. Our thermo and fluid dynamics was in the ME dept. Our circuits was in the EE dept. And no I did not drown...LOL. And yes, we were required to take cal 1, 2, 3, diff eq, and statistics. Our physics courses were calculus based for engineers. AE is not a technology program at all. There are some schools that that have AE tech programs, but there is a difference. There are plenty of people that go into it thinking that and end up dropping out to do something different that doesn't involve as much. Currently, there are 17 accredited schools for AE. You can't get that accredidation unless they teach enough info for you to pass the FE exam and with practice in the field also the PE. That means all classes i stated plus statics, dynamics, strength of materials, materials science, and then some. As far as the AE courses (and i can only speak for my institution), they geared the entire program for two things: to pass any professional exam, and to practice in the field. Every strucutral class (steel design, strucutural analysis, concrete and masonry, strucural analysis and lab) should fully prepare you for the AEPE. That also goes for all the in-depth electrical, mechanical and construction management courses. However, they do tell you that every state has different requirements for engineers to stamp drawings and direct you to exactly what you need to do.

Yeah, in the field someone who does hvac and plumbing is considered a mechanical engineer and i found that a little odd because we don't study gas turbines, machines, and engines. Lighting/electricals are electrical engineers... but there's plenty in electrical engineering that is not included in AE. But for MEP engineers, AE is MORE than sufficient. In fact, it better prepares you to work with everyone (that's what happens in the real world).

Everyone has to contact their local engineering board to find out what they accept as far as what you are allowed to stamp. And if anyone has a question about you stamping something, they most likely will have you prove that you are qualified to stamp it and you are practicing in YOUR AREA OF EXPERTISE (thats what Maryland DLLR told me... the only place it's different is DC). In MD, every stamp says "PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER." It is up to the engineer to make sure that they are practicing in their area of expertise... completely and ethics call.

Be blessed!

:laugh:

Back