April vs. October

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My testing location in ten days is at a senior citizens center in a suburb of Cincinnati, which I would imagine has a small occupancy rate if we each have our own table (first time PE examinee myself). For those who have already sat for the exam, approximately how many other PE examinees where taking it the same day (April and/or October) and location as you were? Five years ago when I sat for the FE there were at least 75 people in a large convention center. 
In Pomona, CA last October, our exam site was in an exhibition hall that's designed for the fairground. Up near 1000 people in our building I would guess. That doesn't include other buildings in the complex that had testing going on.

When I took the EIT exam in 2009, we were in the big building. It felt like an airplane hangar.

I had two different location experiences for FE and PE.  FE i was in a musty old church basement on metal folding chairs with about 30 others while the others where in a newly remodeled lecture hall with padded office swivel chairs in the Computer science/engineering building at university.

PE was in a hotel bar/lounge on banquet chairs and plywood folding tables with about 50 people.

Some tests are only offered in October. But that's probably not enough to make up for the dependency overall. IIRC there isn't too large a difference in the number of spring and fall exam takers. But for whatever reason, the boards here are busier for the October exams.

For what its worth using the internet time machine to get april 2015 results, heres october 2015 compared to april (they did not post test taker volumes in April):

exam rates.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend has a theory that the cut score is higher in April for this very reason.  For the Apr exam, you have the people that were homebound for the winter and had little else to do but study.  For the Oct exam, everyone was out enjoying the summer weather and not studying as hard. 

He took the exam in April (2014?) and he failed with a score of 56 (Civil Transpo)!  He passed in October.  lol
Isn't like a 56/57 a passing score? i thought around a 70% would be passing, I am also taking the civil transportation exam and I just took the ncees practice exam and I scored a 57/80 

Isn't like a 56/57 a passing score? i thought around a 70% would be passing, I am also taking the civil transportation exam and I just took the ncees practice exam and I scored a 57/80 
The cut score varies administration to administration and discipline by discipline.  We've seen it as low as about 53-54 and as high as 56 for Civil.  But typically a 56 is a safe goal to shoot for. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend has a theory that the cut score is higher in April for this very reason.  For the Apr exam, you have the people that were homebound for the winter and had little else to do but study.  For the Oct exam, everyone was out enjoying the summer weather and not studying as hard. 

He took the exam in April (2014?) and he failed with a score of 56 (Civil Transpo)!  He passed in October.  lol
Isn't like a 56/57 a passing score? i thought around a 70% would be passing, I am also taking the civil transportation exam a

Cool. You had me worried for a second. Still should keep studying and aim for a higher score to keep a buffer. 

Back