April 2018 PE Mechanical: Machine Design and Materials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took it also and passed on my first try.  I had friends recommend that I take the thermo test saying the scope is narrower.  I've done "machine design" related work every since college, so I stuck with that.

Two weeks before the test I took the ncees practice and bombed it, I figured out where my mistakes were, but it completely discouraged me.  The tricks got me on simple problems.  The week of the test, I had come to the conclusion that I would be retaking it.  The morning session went fair, I think I had to guess at 2 or 3 problems.  I fully expected the afternoon session to be harder.  But when I had about 30/40 questions answered with no guesses, it hit me that I could possibly pass.  Then as I finished the last problem at 12 min. til, I almost shed a tear.  I didn't have to guess and got what I felt was a legit answer for each question.  I felt really good leaving.  6 weeks of waiting shed a little doubt on it, but I was very happy to see the pass yesterday.

I some how passed. Been out of school for 11 years and squeezed in as much studying as I could the two weeks before the exam inbetween moving into a new house and taking care of two kids. Not sure what I'll do with my PE license, it isn't worth a raise at my job, but I am **** sure proud of myself. That was a hard test! 

Back