April 2011 PE Takers?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my seating approval from the NC board this week, so I am in for April 2011.

Depth will be Geotechnical.

I am signed up for Goswami's web based review course that starts in two weeks. There are no classroom review courses offered anywhere near where I live.

Right now, I am working through his All-In-One guide from cover to cover, and making sure I grasp all of the example problems. I have the 11th Ed. CERM as back up if I need to dig deeper to comprehend the concepts better.

Other resources include:

Das: Principles of Geotechnical Engineering, Principles of Foundation Engineering

UFC 3-220-01N & 3-220-10N which supersede NAVFAC 7.01 & 7.02 (Have these proven useful during the exam to previous Geotech depth examanees?)

OHSA 1926 subparts P & S

Preito-Portar: 300 Solved Problems-Soil/Rock Mechanics & Foundations Engineering

Any other suggestions as must haves for Geotech PM? Is seismic covered adequately in the above references?

I was originally considering WR/ENV for depth, and also have:

Metcalf & Eddy: Wastewater Engineering, 3rd ed.

Gupta: Hydrology & Hydraulic Systems

Would it be worthwhile to bring these texts for AM, or should All-In-One & CERM cover these topics sufficiently?

Also have the 6 Minute Solution books (all topics) to work through.

What would we do without ebay?

My work is cut out for me. Winter is a great time to be studying. Advice from this board has been very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey first post here,

I'll be taking the water resources / environmental focused exam in CA this April 11. Just got a postcard back in the mail approving my application. I'm just relieved its been accepted at this point!

I'm Also going to take a stab at the state mandatory siesmic and surveying tests in the same go as well.

I started studying back in November, waiting for review classes to start next Wednesday! Never taken a single transportation or seismic class.

Good luck to everyone!

:bio:

I'm taking the exam in April as well, and have barely started studying. I feel I've been getting too wrapped up in the CERM and am spinning my wheels.

I'll be taking the WR/ENV depth exam.

Any suggestions on references and/or study materials? I thought about signing up for the PPI Passing Zone just so I could get a suggested study outline and some help if needed. But I'm hearing it may be a waste of money.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am trying to get enough nerve to try to take the exam in the spring. I have taken once in October 2009 and failed by the skin of my teeth. Having little kids makes it tough - but I know I need to do this. I am trying to figure out what path to take: online, Testmasters, School of PE???? Unfortunately the closest classes are 2 hours away. I know my husband will watch the kids - but feeling really guilty about it :(
I have taken it a few times myself, and finally decided to dish out the cash and take the review course which starts in March. The site is about an hour away from where I live (and that is with no traffic)...and I have three children (youngest is two years old) so I totally feel your pain. I will be away from them for over eight hours every Saturday and Sunday for five weeks...but I MUST do this...I've been so close to passing, this just has to put me over the top.

I'm gonna get me a nice cup of coffee and breakfast sandwhich, and deli lunch every weekend...and treat myself to some "quiet" study time away. I've discussed it with my husband and he understands that this is a necessary sacrifice.

Good luck!

I plan on taking the April 2011 exam too. Are you or is anyone else taking the webinar offered by Indranil Goswami (Morgan State)? If so, what have you heard about this class?

I just joined the forum and I plan to take the Civil PE next April. Anyone else?

I plan on taking the April 2011 exam too. Are you or is anyone else taking the webinar offered by Indranil Goswami (Morgan State)? If so, what have you heard about this class?

I just joined the forum and I plan to take the Civil PE next April. Anyone else?
I signed up for it...I've heard some really good things so I hope it will be just what I need to pass!

Taking April 11 Construction.anyone else?

I'm hoping to be taking the construction test in April '11 if MN takes me. Haven't heard yet, but I'm confident they will. I've done some minor studying up through the new year (very weak studying), but started full bore this week with practice problems. Plan on also taking the School of PE webinar review starting in later February.

Good luck. Comments, tips, etc are appreciated.

I signed up for it...I've heard some really good things so I hope it will be just what I need to pass!
I'm signed up for Dr. Goswami's course too. I've had his book for a while, and have been working through it page by page. It's far less daunting than trying to work through the CERM although I use both when working sample problems.

I'm signed up for Dr. Goswami's course too. I've had his book for a while, and have been working through it page by page. It's far less daunting than trying to work through the CERM although I use both when working sample problems.
Have you recieved the class notes or problems yet? I'm a bit worried my work email may have blocked his...

Have you recieved the class notes or problems yet? I'm a bit worried my work email may have blocked his...
Yes, the email arrived around lunchtime with links to googledocs for the class notes (567 pages) and a zip file with the practice problems. The practice problems are broken down by topic, and then again by AM & PM. Solutions are at the end of each practice problem set. I am having office shmeeshmoe print out and bind the class notes at a cost of about $50. That would probably wear out my inkjet.

Will be taking Transportation in Oregon this April.

Flipping back and forth between the CERM and Goswami. Both manuals seem pretty disorganized and missing lots of subjects when compared to the Exam outline. It amazes me that the authors don't go through them and rearrange the subject matter to follow the given outline.

It amazes me that the authors don't go through them and rearrange the subject matter to follow the given outline.
It will amaze you even more when you actually take the test and you find out (to your AMAZEMENT) that even the DAMNED NCEES WILL NOT GOVE YOU THE QUESTIONS IN THE SAME ORDER AS ON THEIR OUTLINE !!!

It will amaze you even more when you actually take the test and you find out (to your AMAZEMENT) that even the DAMNED NCEES WILL NOT GOVE YOU THE QUESTIONS IN THE SAME ORDER AS ON THEIR OUTLINE !!!
Sarcastic shouting, nice. You must be a fun person. I can have my opinion - both manuals suck as study guides. A good study guide should generally follow a provided exam outline. Not add lots of extra material and skip over material that is in the exam outline.

I don't really care what order the questions are in on the test, if you can't figure out what section a question is from you're going to have far bigger problems. To assume I meant otherwise is asinine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking the exam in April for the first time. Started studying this month with focus on Geotech. Also scheduled to take a review/refresher course that starts tomorrow.

Taking April 11 Construction.anyone else?

I'm hoping to be taking the construction test in April '11 if MN takes me. Haven't heard yet, but I'm confident they will. I've done some minor studying up through the new year (very weak studying), but started full bore this week with practice problems. Plan on also taking the School of PE webinar review starting in later February.

Good luck. Comments, tips, etc are appreciated.
In Eden Prairie here. Also planning to take construction test in April 11. Email me if you'd like ([email protected]). Thx

just paid my registration fee. i guess i'm committed now... ug...

Back