Anyone here planning to take PE machine design in April 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strategy sounds good. The only thing I'd add is doing a couple more practice exams, maybe PPI or Slay the PE. 

I will be taking the MDM PE exam in April 2018. I am 6 years out of college and I work in Industrial machine design.

I took the FE this past September and figured that I may as well keep pushing and take the PE as soon as possible. While not necessary at my current position, I feel that being a PE could open up more opportunities for me in the future.

I have spent the last day coming up with a study plan..

I plan to use the following reference materials:

- MERM

- Lindburg practice problems

- Lindburg unit conversions

- Shiglys machine design

- NCEES practice exam.

- Old materials science book from college

- Machinery handbook

I plan to use the ppi study schedule to focus on chapters that the test will cover. I will study each chapter in the MERM, then do the corresponding practice problems in the separate practice problem book (2-3 months). After covering all the chapters I will take the NCEES practice test. When I bomb that, I will go back and study the areas I was weakest in (last couple weeks before the exam)...  This is essentially the strategy I used for the FE, so I guess ill try the same thing.

Any pointers from all you veterans out there?
Lindburgs practice problems take a lot of time, so start working problems as soon as possible, and don't get discouraged. I would review Timothy Kennedy's Machine Design PE review as well, it organizes all the topics in a really nice format to study from. Continuously reference the exam topics list from NCEES and make sure you have worked enough problems in each category to feel confident.

I passed MDM this October 2017! I have PDFs of material I found useful that I'm happy to share in a secure file transfer -- google drive? Other methods? You'd then print it out and put it in a binder.
Can you message me details on how to get these files from you? Thanks.

I passed MDM this October 2017! I have PDFs of material I found useful that I'm happy to share in a secure file transfer -- google drive? Other methods? You'd then print it out and put it in a binder.
Hello can you share it with me please, I'm taking the exam this April! Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am taking the PE exam in April.  Just starting to study now!  I know I should have started studying awhile ago so I have a lot of catching up to do.  It doesn't help that I have been out of school for 8 years.

I hope I'm not hijaking the thread but I was hoping to get some help with a problem.  It is in the merm practice problems chapter 53 #12.  In this problem he finds the torsional shear stress. When I solved this problem, it doesn't seem to me that their would be moment on the bolts due to the load.  Wouldn't these loads just be shear load on the bolts?  I can't get the pic of the problem to attach so hopefully someone has the book and can help me out.

thanks!

I hope I'm not hijaking the thread but I was hoping to get some help with a problem.  It is in the merm practice problems chapter 53 #12.  In this problem he finds the torsional shear stress. When I solved this problem, it doesn't seem to me that their would be moment on the bolts due to the load.  Wouldn't these loads just be shear load on the bolts?  I can't get the pic of the problem to attach so hopefully someone has the book and can help me out.

thanks!
The bolts are preventing the rotation of the bracket about the centroid of the bolt group. Picture this: The load being applied at the tip of the bracket is exerting a moment about the centroid of the bolt group, right? This moment must be countered with a resultant moment of equal magnitude but of opposite direction -- for equilibrium. Therefore, there must be resultant shear forces on each bolt applied in such a way that when you add their moment about the centroid of the bolt group the resulting moment is opposite in direction but equal in magnitude to the moment due to the load applied on the tip of the bracket.

The shear forces on the bolts that you have already calculated arise because the bolts are preventing the vertical displacement of the bracket. You now need to account for the rotation.

See section 20 on page 53-17 "Eccentrically Loaded Bolted Connections" in MERM13 or the section titled "Shear Joints with Eccentric Loading" in Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design by Budynas and Nisbett

I will take the PE mechanical Exam in 2018.I will be grateful if you share me your pdf study materials on

[email protected]

@sbrookef- I tried messaging you, but the system indicated you cannot receive messages. Maybe your inbox is full...

At any rate, if you could also send your pdf resources to: [email protected]. Many thanks!

Has anyone taken the engineer pro guides practice exam?  I was thinking about getting it and taking it in addition to the ncees exam as it is relatively inexpensive.  If you took it, was it relavent and similar to real test problems? 

http://www.engproguides.com/machineexam.html
I purchased the practice exam but have not taken it yet. I did take a quick peek at the problems and they appear to have the same level of difficulty as the NCEES practice exam. I'm about 75% done with my review then I will be digging into the practice exams. Also check out Justin's review manual. I have been using that in parallel with the MERM and shigleys. 

I do have a question about gear standards. The MERM practice problem book has a few questions that use AGMA handbooks. Are we expected to have these handbooks for the exam? There are a lot of AGMA standards... 

Also, some of these MERM problems are quite difficult... Is it just me? or are these problems not very representative of the actual exam..

Back