Any Spring 2016 CA-Survey/Seismic exam takers?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for both.  Have to admit that I found the surveying very challenging.
I passed the Sesimic  and NCEES 8 hour on first attempt. This is my second attempt on Surveying. This time I studied from Reza Mahallati's book, practiced the problems 4 times. I still was not able to complete the exam on time.

I passed the Sesimic  and NCEES 8 hour on first attempt. This is my second attempt on Surveying. This time I studied from Reza Mahallati's book, practiced the problems 4 times. I still was not able to complete the exam on time.
Me too waiting on both survey and seismic results.

I used the same book, as well as the Paul Cuomo Principles of Surveying.  I found the Cuomo book to be good for understanding the concepts, but useless in preparing to take the exam.  It generalized the legal portions and the quick calculation strategies massively.

First attempt at seismic and surveying and passed the Seismic after using EET's class/textbook. Only studied for surveying for a couple of hours and predictably failed that one. Thankfully I'll only have to study for surveying during the Fall exam!

Does anyone see something odd with their CA exam diagnosis?

Now... before I hear motivations about why I ask, know that there is no way in hell I would have passed either test. You can find my post-exam rant somewhere on this board. The only way would be if the curve was so low and maybe then I would have been close to it. I know when I walk out of a test and did poorly or well. So that's a fact.

With that out of the way, taking Survey as an example, I got one area "Proficient". Interesting enough, those equipment questions are the ones that I, without any doubt, just picked a letter throughout the test (C sounded good). Everything else was "Deficient". I'm fine with failing the test but that seems highly suspect to me that my letter picking and guessing was so on point. Something doesn't make sense. Then, today I got similar report from two people who took the tests with me this cycle. One "Proficient" in an area they didn't even bother to test and the rest "Deficient". One guy said he skipped those and at the end of the test he just alternated. Ha!

I asked the CA evaluator assigned to my last name and he assures me that there's no way there was a mistake because it was graded with a computer system. Apparently all 1000s of results would have been off the same way. He suggest I can still go ahead and submit a grievance. I won't bother because I don't care to have it re-graded. If they did, I'd still fail but I don't think I'd get a Proficient under the equipment category.

Any one has had this experience this round or in the past? Or should I go play the lottery? I might be good at picking numbers.

Does anyone see something odd with their CA exam diagnosis?

Now... before I hear motivations about why I ask, know that there is no way in hell I would have passed either test. You can find my post-exam rant somewhere on this board. The only way would be if the curve was so low and maybe then I would have been close to it. I know when I walk out of a test and did poorly or well. So that's a fact.

With that out of the way, taking Survey as an example, I got one area "Proficient". Interesting enough, those equipment questions are the ones that I, without any doubt, just picked a letter throughout the test (C sounded good). Everything else was "Deficient". I'm fine with failing the test but that seems highly suspect to me that my letter picking and guessing was so on point. Something doesn't make sense. Then, today I got similar report from two people who took the tests with me this cycle. One "Proficient" in an area they didn't even bother to test and the rest "Deficient". One guy said he skipped those and at the end of the test he just alternated. Ha!

I asked the CA evaluator assigned to my last name and he assures me that there's no way there was a mistake because it was graded with a computer system. Apparently all 1000s of results would have been off the same way. He suggest I can still go ahead and submit a grievance. I won't bother because I don't care to have it re-graded. If they did, I'd still fail but I don't think I'd get a Proficient under the equipment category.

Any one has had this experience this round or in the past? Or should I go play the lottery? I might be good at picking numbers.
With so few questions in the equipment section (wouldn't it be just 4 or 5?) I think it is just much easier to "accidentally" get a proficient score by guessing. I got "marginal" in equipment and  similarly had absolutely no clue and guessed.

What?! You mean I can't use that as a indication of my chances of winning the powerball?! I suppose that's likely. Those two had a similar situation but with another category. I suppose it could also be a low number of questions so they worked out the same way. We shall never know.

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

How was the course? Did it help explain the surveying topics? do you recommend it? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back