Any idea where the cut score is?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot14

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone have any idea of the cut score? When I look at civil scores they fail in the mid 50/80s, is this similar to th mechanical folks? I think it might be lower in the mid / upper 40s.... What do you all think? Anyone here fail a mechanical test in the 50s range?

The cut score is a hidden mystery that is well discussed throughout the eb.com website.

ayecarumbaoj3.jpg

It seems like it more discussed with the civil folks than mechanical.... I understand it is a mystery.... I would like to see if folks had and 50/80s failures... Thanks!!! It would put things in a cloudy perspective......

It is proprietary and confidential to NCEES. Just study your ass off. From what I've read, if you can get 80-90% on the sample exams then you should be ok.

If you try to micromanage the cut score, you will most likely not make the cut.

This conversation comes up over and over and over and over and over and over...

...my conclusion after reading these posts for years is that the cut score is irrelevant. No one knows it. It changes from exam to exam and even if you did know it exactly it wouldn't help you pass the test. Trying to answer just enough questions to hit the cut score is a recipe for disaster. On the exam if you are counting the number of question you think you got right to hit the "cut score" you are wasting your time. The best strategy is to answer as many questions correctly as you can.

And if you really must know, after reading these types of question for years and reading the results threads over that time I'd guess the cut score is in the mid 50's. But I still think "knowing" that is irrelevant, especially when the cut score can change on every exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree this the general concensus. It is probably around mid 50's. The number changes test to test probably because they throw out problems sometimes. I wouldn't worry about what the cutoff is, just do your best and get the most right possible.

LOL!

I thought a cut score was when your buddy got some primo Bolivian Marching Powder!

LOL!

The cut score is a myth.

"Kids know dick. I watch 'em in my arcades.

They stand like lab rats hitting the feeder bar to get food pellets.

As long as they pump in quarters, who gives a shit?"

"Like our new game called Zantar. Zantar is a gelatinous cube

that eats warriors in a village. If you eat a chieftain,

you go up a level. Beauty is, you can't get to the next level,

kids keep coughing up quarters."

Back