Another Vacation thread.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
Finally biting the bullet and taking the boys to Legoland/Universal.  It could be worse if they cared about Disney, I guess.  Any suggestions on how to save a little dough or things i should/should not do?  We are going down first week of April and staying in Sanibel for a few days before heading back up to Legoland and Universal.  We've designated 1 day to each.  Will that be enough to satisfy 3 boys? 

Just got back from universal and if you download free app it will show wait times on all rides, and you can look on line for calendar that shows the expected busy days.

Is the harry potter place part of universal or separate?

Only way to save money is not to buy any food while you are at either park?

Harry Potter is part of main Universal park. The 5 of us got corn dogs for lunch for $45.00. Parking is $20.00

$100.00 each to get in

Legoland is definitely a one day trip.  I can't imagine spending more time there since there really isn't that much to do.  The miniland exhibit is cool, but you can see the whole thing in about an hour.  If your kids are into Lego, have them take a couple of random minifigures.  You can trade with any of the park staff and there is also a "minifigure chancellor" or whatever that carries around a ton of them for trade.  

We only went to Islands of Adventure, but the Harry Potter world was our favorite.  I think after 4pm or so, you can get the express pass for half price, which is definitely worth it.  If you're going to buy one thing to eat there, make sure to get butter beers.  Thoes things are delicious.

If it's the Legoland in San Diego, we spent 2 days there.  One day was for the rides, the 2nd was for the water park.  YMZ was able to hook me up with some discounted passes for there and Sea World, but I can't remember how.

We looked at Universal Park, but decided within about 5 seconds of seeing their prices that we'd just save our money and go to the beach.

Definitely get butterbeers.  Went to Legoland in San Diego and was wholly unimpressed.  I wouldn't spend more than a day there.  

Going to the Florida parks.  We've seen the $100 for Universal and would really like to not pay that much.  My boys are lego crazy so that should be the highlight of their trip.  Mom and me are beach crazy so we are going to enjoy the 3 days hanging out in the sand. 

They (universal and disney) have pretty good scams going on, i think the only way to get cheaper tix (unless your a florida resident) is to buy multiple days -4 or more.. Sucks, i still have 2 days at disney for all 5 of us (that never expire), but i don't have any plans of using them any time soon...

Maybe DK can chime in on some local deals...

I spent part of a week in Sanibel. We liked it.  If you are into collecting shells, there's lots.   Think you can also rent bikes.   Our hotel had them to borrow.

The only bummer is that there's a toll to get onto the island. 

You could spend a month and all of your money at Disney. 

Edit: may want to bring bug spray for the no-see-ums  Not sure if they are seasonal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You get some pretty good package deals if you stay at the Disney resorts, including them tossing in free water park tickets, etc. on occasion.  In all honestly, between the free breakfast/beer that was offered, free buses (no paying for parking), proximity to the parks, etc., the resorts are worth the little bit more you pay on room rate vs. your local scuzzy hotel.  Just the freebie water park tickets were worth over $400 bucks for the three of us, and we were only originally scheduled to stay there for 3 nights.  

They (universal and disney) have pretty good scams going on, i think the only way to get cheaper tix (unless your a florida resident) is to buy multiple days -4 or more.. Sucks, i still have 2 days at disney for all 5 of us (that never expire), but i don't have any plans of using them any time soon...

Disney gives a hefty discount on the multi-day tickets for active & retired military as well.  It was worthwhile for my barber's daughter to fly him to Florida and back just so he could get the tickets with this discount.

Keep an eye out for the free child admission with paying adult at Legoland too.  Do you get the Lego club magazines?  They are free to sign up for and they always have those coupons in them.

if it is anything like the smaller versions of legoland the time of day also varies the price of the ticket.  First thing in the morning is the most expensive.  

So we were planning to head back east for spring break, maybe we were feeling guilty for not seeing family, urge to smell some salt air, feel some warmth, eat some decent seafood, etc.

As I said earlier we have two days of Disney tix left from the last time we were there and it was raining, kids were sick and we said “F” this and came home early.. & my daughter wants to check out the Harry Potter World, so we were checking flights and figuring out a way to see family for 2 days, then do something for us for a few days, figured we would hit Disney and use on of our “free / already paid for days” and then go to Universal and the Harry Potter thing.. so we go check out prices.. HFS Batman, for a family of 5 (all over age 13) the “one day” rate would be $747!  ( I think doing the on park option was $559 for all of us) still outrageous.. of course the “more days you buy” the cheaper they get, but we just can’t (emotionally) do more than one day at either park .

So now were thinking about not going :D

One thing this exercise did do was convince the wife that the $1,750 we spend on season passes to ski  (From November to April) for a family of 5 is money well spent!

Just for comparison, walk up ticket at Vail is $175/day.

In Florida, go see some nature while you're down there!

they have to cover the cost of the warm cookie and hot chocolate on the gondola..

I think I am over "nature" vacations for a while, if we go this will just be to do tourist Florida stuff (Beach, Booze, Boats), wife wants to go to Havasu falls also instead of this for spring break, but I just don't want to pay $3K to go hiking when I can do that for free in my backyard basically (although it looks really cool)  But every thing we read says the folks that run that place are basically thief's / con artists..

It is not my department but my wife's. She is the one always looking for Disney/Universal deals. My sons and daughter have the Universal Annual pass but can get really good deals through the University of Central Florida. They do have ridiculously good deals for students and alumni. That is how they got the Universal deal. They go to Disney very often, or at least when UCF offers deals. I will ask her to let me know whenever another one of those deals shows up.

So we were planning to head back east for spring break, maybe we were feeling guilty for not seeing family, urge to smell some salt air, feel some warmth, eat some decent seafood, etc.

As I said earlier we have two days of Disney tix left from the last time we were there and it was raining, kids were sick and we said “F” this and came home early.. & my daughter wants to check out the Harry Potter World, so we were checking flights and figuring out a way to see family for 2 days, then do something for us for a few days, figured we would hit Disney and use on of our “free / already paid for days” and then go to Universal and the Harry Potter thing.. so we go check out prices.. HFS Batman, for a family of 5 (all over age 13) the “one day” rate would be $747!  ( I think doing the on park option was $559 for all of us) still outrageous.. of course the “more days you buy” the cheaper they get, but we just can’t (emotionally) do more than one day at either park .

So now were thinking about not going :D

One thing this exercise did do was convince the wife that the $1,750 we spend on season passes to ski  (From November to April) for a family of 5 is money well spent!
I would gladly go skiing instead of to the Parks.  I'm not looking forward to that part of this trip.

It is not my department but my wife's. She is the one always looking for Disney/Universal deals. My sons and daughter have the Universal Annual pass but can get really good deals through the University of Central Florida. They do have ridiculously good deals for students and alumni. That is how they got the Universal deal. They go to Disney very often, or at least when UCF offers deals. I will ask her to let me know whenever another one of those deals shows up.
Thanks.

well fuuuuudddddgggggeeeeeeee

so nice of universal to split up the harry potter stuff into two parks so you have to do two days if you want to see all of that.. smh

after kicking the idea around were just going to do one day at universal, cant recall which one but I let the kids pick it out. and were going cheap and using the disney tix we already have for another day, those are park hoppers, but you lose time doing that.

Really fucked up that its gonna cost us $600 for one day at Universal :(   and it looks like you then have to buy the fast passes to get any real enjoyment at all...

so either Monday / Tueday will be park days and then Wednesday were gonna find some local cheesy stuff to do in Orlando before we go to my parents Wednesday night.  Im hoping some cheesy gator farm or something, or maybe just hang out at the hotel pool until they kick us out .  My folks live in Tampa (or north of Tampa) so were going to spend 2 days with them before we come back, sad but I cant really do more than 2 days with my folks..

well be there the first week in April if anyone else is going to be in the hell hole known as Orlando? (sorry DK)

Unless I win the lotto this will be the last time I bring the whole family back east, to much friggin money for my blood,

Back