Another Survey Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryf

Reaction score
In reviewing the Survey test plan, I see that there are some topic areas that are only marginally covered in Reza's review manual (grading plans are mentioned in the test plan but there is nothing in the manual referring to a grading plan..cuts and fills are covered however).

Is it your experience that familiarity with Reza's review manual will be sufficient for the test or should I look for additional supporting material?

Right now, I am planning on working from Reza's review manual, my old site investigation class notes, Wolf and Ghilani (which we used in site investigation) and a supplemental binder of stuff that is not covered in the previously mentioned sources.

I think I should be jelous because you are probably someone who will pass the exam on the first try. However, I think Reza is a great study book but is probably only 1/4 of the test. I would highly recommend some survey text books. Surveying Theory and Practice , davis is a very good book and has alot informantion within the office proceedure catagory. I would also look for as many survey practice exams as you can find there are a number out there.

Right now, I am planning on working from Reza's review manual, my old site investigation class notes, Wolf and Ghilani (which we used in site investigation) and a supplemental binder of stuff that is not covered in the previously mentioned sources.
That sounds adequate to me. I walked in with only Cuomo's book and didn't use it nearly as much as I thought... Get in the mindset that every problem has a shortcut and it's your job to find it. As i've said before on the board that the amount of trig/geometry problems on the test surprised me greatly.

In reviewing the Survey test plan, I see that there are some topic areas that are only marginally covered in Reza's review manual (grading plans are mentioned in the test plan but there is nothing in the manual referring to a grading plan..cuts and fills are covered however).

Is it your experience that familiarity with Reza's review manual will be sufficient for the test or should I look for additional supporting material?

I think Reza's manual should suffice, but it's really about timing. You have 3 minutes per question so it's about knowing surveying fundamentals regardless of the reference material. Practice solving problems quickly rather than focusing on which reference books to buy or bring.

Good luck!

couldn't agree more....there must have been short cuts i ended up taking a lot of long cuts and wasting a tonnnnn of time....

if it's taking too long move on.

That sounds adequate to me. I walked in with only Cuomo's book and didn't use it nearly as much as I thought... Get in the mindset that every problem has a shortcut and it's your job to find it. As i've said before on the board that the amount of trig/geometry problems on the test surprised me greatly.

Back