Another college grad can't find engineering job, critique my resume?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcdevi1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I know there is another thread about this with great info, so I won't be asking advice on how to get a job. But, for someone to critique my resume.

My story:

I will be graduating this May with a Masters of Science in Civil Engineering. I have already obtained my BSCE back in May of 2009. I started grad school

right off the bat because I simply couldn't find any work. After my second year of grad school I took a break because I was just so sick of it. So, I decided to

go home and look for a job. Well, it didn't work out so well. I sent out hundreds of resumes and no call backs. Nothing!

About a couple months into the job search a friend of mine mentioned that the commercial real estate investment firm he worked for was looking for a new website (I design

websites on the side). I grabbed the opportunity and made them a website that they really liked. Impressed with my work they actually hired me for a temp

position within the company. So, I took that too.

At this point, I'm thinking to myself that this could be my way in because they work with civil engineers. But, after two months of working for the company

I was sent home (it was a temp job after all) and no engineering opportunities came from it. However, I still work with them on web and graphic design

projects (brochures, minisites, email templates, etc...). So, everything wasn't so bad after all. The problem is, I didn't go to school

and pour my soul into my Civil Engineering degrees to become a web designer. I want to be an engineer, that's why I went to school for it. I mean don't get me wrong,

having paychecks from my web work to pay bills is nice but it's not great. Who knows, maybe I start doing this web design full time and start my own firm but I'm not

counting on it. I really need to find me an engineering job.

So, what say you folks? Will you take a look at my resume and point things out to me? I feel like my resume is hurting me, I know it is. Maybe it's because I don't

have any formal engineering experience outside the classroom. Whatever the case may be, I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at it.

Thanks

Mike

RESUME

EDUCATION

Candidate for Master of Science in Civil Engineering (Emphasis on Structural), May 2013

West Virginia University, College of Engineering and Mineral Resources, Morgantown, WV

Cumulative GPA: 3.17/4.00

Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Aug 2009

West Virginia University, College of Engineering and Mineral Resources, Morgantown, WV

Cumulative GPA : 3.10/4.00, Majors: Civil Engineering GPA: 3.24/4.00

Relevant Coursework: Finite Element Method, Structural Design-Dynamic Load, Behavior/Design of FRP Members, Steel Design, Prestressed Concrete, Bridge Engineering, Intro Structural Dynamics, Reinforced Concrete Design, Foundations Engineering, Intro AutoCAD Civil 3D, Intro to Geotechnical Engineering

CERTIFICATIONS

Engineer in Training Certification, April 2009

TECHNICAL SKILLS

MatLab, Microstation, AutoCAD Civil 3D, RISA 3D, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, Adobe Photoshop, HTML/CSS, PHP, MYSQL

ENGINEERING / RESEARCH EXPERIENCE

Research Assistant: Constructed Facility Center (CFC), Morgantown, WV (Aug 2009-Present)

· Assisted in the construction of fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) beams.

· Analyzed stresses and strains in the FRP beams, made design suggestions to the orientation of the fibers in order to increase strength in the ties.

· Performed cyclic testing on FRP beams.

· Performed compression testing of FRP beams.

· Analyzed stresses in floor joists of a local school and reinforced the joists with FRP wrap.

Senior Design Project (Spring 2009):

· Assisted in the design of a parking lot

· Created the parking lot layout with Microstation

· Designed the foundations to hold both the lightpoles and a parking canopy

· Assisted in the layout of electrical and sewage lines

· Communicated with KCI Technologies for solving critical issues

WORK EXPERIENCE

Onyx Equities, Intern, Rutherford, NJ (Feb 2012 – June 2012)

· Extracted data from legal documents into MS Excel

· Normalize said data with MS Access

Kearney Construction, Mamaroneck, NY (Dec 2004-Aug 2005, Summers 2006 and 2007)

· Constructed residential home from the foundations to the roof

· Collaborated with Senior Engineer on complex engineering projects for residential building projects.

· Assisted in the design, plans, and cost of residential homes.

· Assisted in the construction of foundations for residential homes.

· Prepared layouts as per the blueprint requirements

· Studied blueprints to know the exact requirements of construction

· Trained and effectively managed rookie employees

· Established a respect for engineering, as a result I pursued an engineering degree

PERSONAL WORK EXPERIENCE

60 East Designs, Owner and Lead Designer, New York, NY (Jan 2012 – Present)

· Established and managed a web design consulting business.

· Designed and coded websites for various clients in the New York City tri-state area.

· Prepared bid proposals for potential projects.

Send me a PM-- I will be happy to review the resume!

For Drill-- You need an objective statement--what is it that you want to do? I need to know. In today's world, the first 2 cuts are made by computer-- the reason that you are getting no calls is that the computer is not picking you up.

B. All the characteristics/traits that you identify under each job, SO WHAT? That is the test that I always use-- SO WHAT? Why is that important to a hiring official? If you cannot address that, then it is wasting space.

C. Quantify, with numbers, what you have done. "Saved xx% of energy", "Increased throughput by xx%". Don't lie-- never lie, however, there are ways to portray your work accomplishments that have tangible quantitative measures assigned to them.

D. The resume has to "dance"-- why do I want to hire you?

E. OK, if this is the best you can do-- we'll help. You have a start-- we'll give you some more ideas that will hopefully make this thing dance for you. However, I do see how this resume needs some help.

F. Another point-- you probably should tailor the objective statement to the position that you are hiring-- all of the other data is static---

G. Did you successfullly complete the FE? Have you taken the FE? What about internships? Community volunteer activities? Leadership activities?

You have some things to consider-- however, send me a PM, I will help you!

Where do you want to work?

If find it hard to believe you could not get a job with an engineering company doing natural gas work in WV. WV, Eastern Ohio and Pittsburgh are all hiring like crazy for civil engineers doing gas work. I get 2 calls a week from companies if you are interested in that work.

There is also a lot of work at the NY/PA line for natural gas; I know CEC is hiring up there.

PM if you need a connection.

_len

@bradlelf I'd like to work in New York, since that's where I'm from. But, I'll take a job in WV, PA, MD, VA, mainly those states.

About the oil jobs, I've never applied to any since I always thought that was reserved for the MechE, ChemE, and PetroE. I know

recently companies have been looking for Civils, but I just don't know where to look for these jobs. I go on indeed all the time, and

can't find any companies in the O&G industry looking for Civils. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. (I know in Texas there are openings for Civils, but I

don't want to work in Texas.)

I know CEC is hiring. I've applied and even met with one of the recruiters about a week ago (3/14) at a career fair at the WVU campus.

I did the whole thing, dressed with a suit and tie, talked to them about key points of the company, and even sent a follow up email. Still

waiting to hear from them.

Thanks for the reply

Mike

Back