Angle Shifts on Transformers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redskinsdb21

Reaction score
Gentleman/Ladies:

I am trying to figure out the phase shift of voltages and currents in transformers...specifically in delta-wye or wye-delta.

Attached is a file were I showed and tried to keep simple the line currents and voltages on both sides of a transformer. My question is...what will be the voltage and current angles on primary side of transformer? Any help if very much appreciated.

DOC003.pdf

Attachments

• DOC003.pdf
    13.8 KB · Views: 43
There isn't enough information to answer the question. With a delta-wye conversion, there will be a 30 degree phase shift. The direction of the phase shift can be adjusted by how you connect the transformer to the system.

Transformer_Connections.pdf

Does this 30 degrees phase shift occur with the voltage and current?

I have read some stuff on it, just trying to get it squared away. If I had said + sequence or - sequence in my question, would that have helped?

Does it work like this: In either a delta-y or y-delta arrangement.....the line to line voltages on delta side lead line to line voltages on y-side by 30 degrees if + sequence a,b,c and the line to line voltages on delta side lag line to line voltages on y-side by 30 degrees if - sequence a,c, b?

Back