Am I Nuts?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Chuck. Nobody will give him a straight answer. I will Chuck - Yes, you are nuts.

Seriously, why not just take the O Chem and MCAT and see how you like it. Heck, that sounds sort of interesting even if you don't want to go to med school.

What about taking some classes that would give you some medical knowledge and looking for a job in medical technology design. I have known a couple people who designed artificial heart devices ... sort of medical engineering. I know those jobs would be very limited, though.

I agree that there are ways to work in engineering that are fulfilling. I would explore all of those options first.

Or you could specialize in Breast Augmentation...
That's the best idea I've heard yet. Most of your patients would be young, attractive females, and they would be jumping at the chance to show you their naughty bits. Plus, you would have to deal with the insurance companies nearly as much since plastic surgery isn't covered under most policies. You could also get the sense of helping the populace with the cancer/mastectomy patients. One potential downside is working with the she-males wanting to become more she than male, but you always have the right to refuse a patient. Another downside is that you would have to move to Miami or LA or NYC to hit it big in your profession.

Another downside is that you would have to move to Miami or LA or NYC to hit it big in your profession.
Living in South Carolina, you could pursue the equally rewarding specialty of urologist to Mark Sanford.

Living in South Carolina, you could pursue the equally rewarding specialty of urologist to Mark Sanford.
I think urologist and proctologist are tied for the most polar opposite medical career path than plastic surgery. Even being the "Urologists to the Stars" doesn't sound like a great deal.

I think urologist and proctologist are tied for the most polar opposite medical career path than plastic surgery. Even being the "Urologists to the Stars" doesn't sound like a great deal.
I just figured he could use his wastewater civil engineering experience - dealing with foul smelling goop seeping out of pipes.

ahhh yeah, some time ago actually, from the 'horse's mouth' so to say (post #7 below)

:rotflmao:
Yes, I knew about this, but I'm talking about nuts as in crazy. I'm not sure what testee's talking about.

Chuck....from my point of view: Yes...you are nuts!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:
Good Luck!!!!!!!!
I have to agree, but then again, I'm not a big risk taker when it comes to my career/livelihood. I also enjoy what I'm doing now, so I'm happy with where I am, but I know that it is very frustrating to despise what you are doing.

On a related note, I've seen Engineering without Borders and Water for People mentioned one here. Has anyone volunteered for either of these? I spent some time reading about them and they seem like great causes, but I was wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience.

From what I gather, and I'll be the first to say my knowledge is limited, is that at least for EWB, its a student driven organization with technical expertise and financial backing from college institutions and private companies.

I attended a series of Friday afternoon lectures at Dartmouth when I lived up that way because my wife was there and forced to attend and they counted as NH PDHs and were free I'm a concerned engineer trying to stay current with the times.

One was about EWB. The mentorship comes from the profs and consultants in industry, so I guess that's rewarding in its own right. But the vast bulk of it came from college students who volunteered to do low tech engineering work in 3rd world countries. It sounded cool, but the kind of thing that would be hard to do if you were a working professional with a wife and kids and the 2-story in suburbia.

I think as a working professional with responsibilities at home, it would be a lot harder to detach yourself for 3 months and go to the middle of Africa.

Last edited by a moderator:
so the other day, i'm at the doc's office for my semi-annual physical. we get to the 'drop the drawers turn your head & cough part', so before dropping my trousers, the doc says "ok lets see your nuts" so i reply "well doc, I'm thinking of switching careers, going to medical school and becoming a doctor. . ." :band:

stainless-steel-nuts_10223775.jpg

A little background, I was very close to trying to get into medical school after I finished graduate school in 03. I really wish I had.
In all seriousness, i am curious. . .you finished w/ a BSCE (presumably) and an MS in some form of engineering (again presumably), so 4-6 years of your life & $$. . .what in the world was drawing you to plunging back into another 4- 8 yrs of schooling in an unrelated non-correlatable field back then (i.e. pre-work burnout)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew a guy my wife went to grad school with. Got a BS in eng, then an PhD in Eng, then decided he wanted to go to medical school, but needed a couple years of remedial coursework to fill in the blanks, then decided to go to 8 years of school to be a cardiologist.

I'm sure he'll have it made one day...when he's 50 and digs his way out of debt. His wife is doing something similar. The leak money like a sieve.

I knew a guy my wife went to grad school with. Got a BS in eng, then an PhD in Eng, then decided he wanted to go to medical school, but needed a couple years of remedial coursework to fill in the blanks, then decided to go to 8 years of school to be a cardiologist.
I'm sure he'll have it made one day...when he's 50 and digs his way out of debt. His wife is doing something similar. The leak money like a sieve.
professional student...i know several of those

I grew up with a girl who changed her major practically every year. I think after 10 years, she finally got a degree in math.

Back