AISC Seismic Design Manual (AISC 327-05)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilfrank

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am sitting for the PE Structural I exam and wanted to get the boards two cents.

Is the AISC Seismic Design Manual (AISC 327-05) really needed for the PE Structural I exam?

I have all of the other design standards in their current editions and am finding it hard to shell out $250+ for this final standard.

Thanks for your insight!

lilFrank

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,
I am sitting for the PE Structural I exam and wanted to get the boards two cents.

Is the AISC Seismic Design Manual (AISC 327-05) really needed for the PE Structural I exam?

I have all of the other design standards in their current editions and am finding it hard to shell out $250+ for this final standard.

Thanks for your insight!

lilFrank
If I were in your shoes, I would not buy the book. I borrowed it from a friend for the STR II and didn't use it. I doubt you will need it for STR I.

Thanks for your responses. Very much appreciate the info ;)

Just have to keep working the SERM, NCEES SE I Sample Q & S, and Six-Minute problems over then next month....

Through the process of my review I have created some review notes, crib sheets, and indexes in excel / pdf.

If you have created similar, maybe we can exchange to our mutual benefit.

Feel free to send me your review notes, crib sheets, indexes, etc. and I will send you mine in return.

Best of luck to all!

lilFrank

Hello All,

Thanks for your insight!

lilFrank
LilFrank,

You do not need the AISC Seismic Design Manual (AISC 327-05). That's for SE guys. YHW

LilFrank,
You do not need the AISC Seismic Design Manual (AISC 327-05). That's for SE guys. YHW
Thanks for your advice. Not sure if I exactly understood your answer. What did you mean by "That's for SE guys."? I am sitting for the PE Structural I exam (not PE Civil exam w/ Structural Depth). After passing the Structural I exam I plan to sit for the Structural II exam to obtain model law SE status in most states. The state where I currently work only requires you to pass the Structural I exam. I am currently practicing in the field of structural engineering designing low to mid-rise buildings of steel, concrete, masonry, and wood construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
D'ems fightin' words!!!
Hehehe... Well I'm not a fighter, I'm only a friend to all here on EB :) I just wanted to clarify YHW's comment since I only received 2 other comments. One said the 327-05 was not needed for the Structural I, the other said the 327-05 was NOT needed for the Structural II. The Structural II is very different from the SE I so I was hoping to get a few more responses from SE I takers.

I have used the AISC 327-05 for R>3 / gusset yield lines / special seismic detailing which I assume is not on the Structural I.

To clarify my situation, the reason I am really asking is that my office only has one copy and another employee will be taking PE Structural I exam on the same day as I. We can not both use the 327-05 at the same time. I was going to buy one it was used or get the necessary parts.

Maybe I should rephrase my question.

For any board members that have taken the PE Structural I exam in 2008 or 2009. Did you utilize the AISC Seismic Design Manual (AISC 327-05)? If so, more importantly, what sections of the AISC Seismic Design Manual (AISC 327-05) did you use?

Thanks again for any insight you can provide :)

The Structural I exam is general in terms of structural knowledge, and from my experience the Steel Seismic Design Manual is more specific.

I would not buy it for Structural I, but if you plan to take Structural II it would be a good investment since you will need it for Str II.

Back