Afternoon Portion for Non-Engineer Degree

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trchambe0082

Reaction score
Hello,

I just graduated from Purdue with a BS in Electrical Engineering Technology last May, and am registered to take the FE in Indiana in April 2010. It seems to me that the big difference between engineering and engineering technology is not so much the discipline-specific engineering, but rather the lack of extra courses (advanced mathematics, thermodynamics, fluids, etc). Considering this fact, does anyone have a suggestion as to whether I should take the general or the electrical portion in the afternoon? It certainly makes sense to take the general exam for engineer graduates, but I haven't had many of these courses for several years, if at all. And several of the subjects that I did study were not studied as in depth or taken to as advanced a level as degreed engineers. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Dont sell yourself short, The general is just as hard as the discipline specific. I have my BSMET from Alfred State (NY), and being a few years out of school it was hard as could be. But do your self a favor DONT FOLLOW the book recommendations from the FE review manual, Double the time, your going to have to re-learn calc. and get yourself the Casio FX - 135 and get familiar.

it's the only thing that saved my tail the last time, I passed on my third exam.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice. One more question... I've heard that the best strategy is to study for a few of the major topics rather than master the entire review manual. Do you agree with this? If so, what topics are the most covered?

Also, you mention that the general is just as hard as the discipline specific. That's what lead me to think I should take the discipline specific, as I've had the most experience in electrical engineering. But you disagree?

Dont sell yourself short, The general is just as hard as the discipline specific. I have my BSMET from Alfred State (NY), and being a few years out of school it was hard as could be. But do your self a favor DONT FOLLOW the book recommendations from the FE review manual, Double the time, your going to have to re-learn calc. and get yourself the Casio FX - 135 and get familiar.
it's the only thing that saved my tail the last time, I passed on my third exam.

Good Luck
CAMPNS so your advise seem to be a bit unclear. Are you saying trchambe0082 take DS?

Trchambe0082, my advise to you is that, considering you only graduated in May, you better take EE for the PM FE exam. I sincerely believe you stand a better chance of scoring higher in the PM if you go disciline. This is my 2cents. Good luck

Back