Advice on Calculators

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Folks
I wanted to get peoples opinions on what maybe the best overall calculator from the 3 different models accepted by NCEESfor the PE exam.

Willie
In my humble opinion the calculators on the approved list are about as useful as the one pictured below (which oddly enough is not on the list):

11dig1.jpg

Seriously, all of the approved calcs are pretty basic so neither should cause you to pass or fail. Just be sure you really know how to use the one you choose. Don't work any practice problems with a more advanced calculator. Work them all with the one you're going to bring into the exam.

I suppose the determining factor will be RPN or not. If you want RPN then HP is it but don't expect the approved HP to live up to your expectations.

I personally used the Casio FX-115ES. It's a little flimsy but they all are. It had some good features and I'm not a RPN guy so the algebraic entry and natural textbook display suited me better. I really liked the way complex number calculations were handled and conversion from rectangular to polar was very quick and simple. I liked the way matrices were done as well. However, I'm sure if I'd chosen the TI it would have been OK too.

I suppose the good thing about the Casio is that it's so cheap you can buy one and if you don't like it then use it for your check book and buy one of the others for the test. Actually these are so inexpensive that I bought 2 of them (one for a backup) and was out only a little over $20.

Anyway, like others have said, pick one and work with it. As long as you do your practice problems with it and get comfortable with it's quirks then you'll be OK.

Good luck.

I prefer the Casio fx-115ES. It's natural display makes it tops over all the others for me. IIRC some of the others didn't work with complex numbers, which I need in my discipline.

I will echo what others are saying: what is most important is to do all of your practice problems with the calculator you will use during the exam. You won't have time to waste during the exam to search for the cubed root button, or for reading the calculator manual to find out how to perform statistical analysis.

I thought the TI-30X IIS did a fine job for me, because I had become familiar with it. I've spent time during my career using HPs, casios, and TIs, and I don't think there is a big advantage for one versus the other. If you like RPN, choose the HP, but it's really no faster or more efficient than the others, if you are used to them. I don't think the ability to store equations is all that important for this exam...too many equations to choose.

I don't think the calculator you choose makes a bit of difference, so long as you have been using it for your studies and are familiar with it. I prefer TI models as I've been using one since high school. It's a no frills, get it done calculator. I used the TI-36X Solar model for the exam. It worked great.
I would advise you to bring two identical calculators to the exam. If one dies (not likely - but why risk it?) you've got a back up.
I used a TI36x solar back in high school and didn't make the switch to the graphing TI-8x until college so I was already very comfortable with that. I actually still have that calculator and used it to pass both the EIT and the PE exams.

Whatever you choose to use, keep the packaging and the receipt. Work with it for a week or two and if you don't like it, return it and get a different one. I actually bought a back-up and didn't even bother taking it out of the packaging for the exam. I ended up returning it on my way home from the exam since I didn't need it.

I agree with everyone else though: get comfortable with the calculator you have. The way the exam is written I could have used a basic check-book type calculator for about 90% of the exam. Most of it is simple +-*/ functions with the occasional ^, sqrt, and sin/cos/tan.

Last edited:
I personally hate Casio calculators. All the Casios I have had in the past felt flimsy in my hands. The buttons were too senstive or not sensitive enough when it matter.
I went with the HP 33s because of the ability to program and to store equations. I didn't use all of the equations I inputted, but some were helpful during the exam.

Also, I am an algebraic guy and the HP 33s does allow for both Algebraic input and RPN.... And even though I had to use the second function key to input brackets, I find I am much faster using my HP33s than my old TI-85...

I think the HP 33s has a good feel and if this is one of the worst calculators HP has to offer, I think I have been missing out all these years and wish I found HP calculators much earlier on in my academic career...
I agree that HP 33s is the acceptable one. What I like about it it has all options you can possibly need on the exam. Not necessarily all of them are actually needed, but I just felt the more options I have the better off I am... The only thing - before the exam it is a good idea to solve 10-20-30 or more problems of all kind to learn all functions of the calculator, so that you would not have to struggle looking for SIN button on the exam... Also, I had with me EXACTLY the same HP 33s for a backup - in case the first one dies. Yes, it is an overkill, but it helped me to stay away of nightmares before the actual exam about my calculator's going bad right in the middle of the exam.

What helped me was looking at user reviews from Amazon.com of the calculators. I was almost sold on the HP 33, till i read thru alot of those reviews - too many repeated gripes made me skeptical of that calc., but to be fair, i never tried the calculator to confirm or deny the gripes.

But once you get a calc, one that you find usable and convenient, commit to it! I initially bought the FX115 ES back in 06, even though i wouldn't be taking the test until 08. The ES was dropped in 07 from the approved list (for whatever reason), so i went out and got a 115 MS to replace it. So after getting insanely familiar w/ both platforms over the last 2 yrs, the ES becomes "re-approved" for testing year 08, and that will be what i use in the FE this October, the MS being my backup calc. Its all about familiarity w/ the model you select. I took the FS last April in MI, and a buddy of mine didn't get an approved calc. until the week of the test! Sure as ****, he runs up to me at the lunch break wanting to know how the hell to do stats on the ES!! You cannot tempt fate in that manner. I actually never did hear if he passed the test or not.. .

I know everyone has their own preferences, but after all my success with it, i've got to promote the Casio MS. The biggest bonus is, of course, that it's the cheapest of all the options. I purchased my first one for 12 bucks. I have three now (the first two were primary and backup, the third I bought because I was in Germany for two months and forgot to bring a calculator).

All three work great; the buttons are solid and all function correctly (i.e., no sticky or sensitive keys). It's both solar and battery powered. The functionality of the calculator is unsurpassed at this price. Although you won't need it for the Civil PE, it does numerical integration and imaginary numbers, which I thought was pretty cool for a $15 calculator. It also has a numerical solver, which I did use for on the PE.

Now, honestly, during the regular work day, I still use my TI-89 primarily because I like the larger screen (despite that my TI has a sticky key). But for the test, I thought this was a great device. I used it on both the FE and PE and I've loaned them out to friends for their PE exams.

^I agree. I've said this in many of the calculator posts and I'll repeat it here. I was surpised by the ease of use of the Casio fx-115MS Plus. For me, ease of handling compex numbers is a top priority in a calculator and this one handles them well--I like they way it handles complex numbers even better than my TI-85. The only thing it doesn't do that I might occaisonally use is matrix math.

I use this calculator at home all the time now and will buy another for work when my TI-85 dies.

I learned RPN just for the PE. It took about 2 weeks. I wanted the extra time- everyone said it was faster and wow is it. I'll never go back- I've given everything else away. Nice thing about the 35 at least is that you can switch between RPN and whatever non-RPN is called. Algebraic?

You won't use any cool keys though so don't worry. I just like RPN bc I don't have to write anything down between steps.

Back