ACI 318.08 VS 318.05

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsn

Reaction score
Will it be okay if I take ACI 318 '08 version instead of '05 version to the exam? I am taking structural afternoon.

Will it be okay if I take ACI 318 '08 version instead of '05 version to the exam? I am taking structural afternoon.
Whenever you take a reference with a different revision than the one specified as an exam reference, you run the risk of getting wrong answers if the specific provision the question pertains to have been revised.

I do not know off-hand how siginifcant the changes are from '05 to '08. It is always best to bring the specified reference documents but if you can't get the specific revision, another edition is better than none at all.

You will certainly be running a risk by referencng ACI 318-08 instead of 05. With that said, I don't think it will be the difference between a passing and failing score. ACI 318-08's main differences are in durability requirements, chapter 21 seismic provisions and appendix d anchorage design. This won't affect what you are doing for the PE, i.e. flexure, shear, compression, minimum reinforcement requirements are for the most part unchanged.

checking to see the bold black vertical line in your 2008 version and seeing how often it occurs should be enough to scare you into getting the '05 version. ;) GOODLUCK!

Back