AASHTO Code worth it?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKuhn

Reaction score
I'm taking the structural portion of the PM exam. I have never worked on bridges or highway projects (although the economy might change that in the future). I am primarily studying from the CERM by Lindeburg.

I am wondering if an outdated code that I am not familiar with is worth $240 or if I can get by with the CERM for the transportation questions. How many questions do you think I'd miss without it?

I don't know anyone that I can borrow the book from and with one member of the household already laid-off I'm being frugal with my money.

I'm refering to this book: "AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 3rd Edition with Interims, PE Exam Edition"

Thanks for any opinions.

I'm taking the structural portion of the PM exam. I have never worked on bridges or highway projects (although the economy might change that in the future). I am primarily studying from the CERM by Lindeburg.
I am wondering if an outdated code that I am not familiar with is worth $240 or if I can get by with the CERM for the transportation questions. How many questions do you think I'd miss without it?

I don't know anyone that I can borrow the book from and with one member of the household already laid-off I'm being frugal with my money.

I'm refering to this book: "AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 3rd Edition with Interims, PE Exam Edition"

Thanks for any opinions.

I did not need AASHTO for stuructural depth afternoon. However, you might need SERM to study the bridge part.

Honestly, I asked that same question to myself about a week before the test... I was starting to worry that those 2 or so problems would be the tipping point.

I ended up deciding that 240$ is a hell of an investment for something that I will never use again..

I decided to go without it and passed the test. If you want to learn an entire new reference then by all means try. But keep in mind that this is time you could be studying other topics that will help you at some point.

I will say the problems out of the AASHTO are definitely the "do you even have this type" of questions. And if you do spend a few hours reviewing the manual you'll probably learn enough to answer the questions that will show up on the PE.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go it without AASHTO, and spend more time with the material I have. If it doesn't work this time maybe I'll buy the book next time around.

Honestly, I asked that same question to myself about a week before the test... I was starting to worry that those 2 or so problems would be the tipping point.
I ended up deciding that 240$ is a hell of an investment for something that I will never use again..

I decided to go without it and passed the test. If you want to learn an entire new reference then by all means try. But keep in mind that this is time you could be studying other topics that will help you at some point.

I will say the problems out of the AASHTO are definitely the "do you even have this type" of questions. And if you do spend a few hours reviewing the manual you'll probably learn enough to answer the questions that will show up on the PE.

Dastuff,

I am very much in a dilemma, if I have to learn the AASHTO LRFD or leave it? Fortunately I have the code availabe at my office. But I dont have any bridge text or references to study. The SERM I have is based on 17th edition AASHTO. Please let me know, approximately how many questions did appear on STRUCTURAL PM (DEPTH) part of the PE Civil test.

Also, is there any reference material available for the AASHTO LRFD Bridge design? Just to be familiar with the code, what is it exacly I should be knowing so that at least I can attempt to answer few questions If I see them on test.

Dastuff,
I am very much in a dilemma, if I have to learn the AASHTO LRFD or leave it? Fortunately I have the code availabe at my office. But I dont have any bridge text or references to study. The SERM I have is based on 17th edition AASHTO. Please let me know, approximately how many questions did appear on STRUCTURAL PM (DEPTH) part of the PE Civil test.

Also, is there any reference material available for the AASHTO LRFD Bridge design? Just to be familiar with the code, what is it exacly I should be knowing so that at least I can attempt to answer few questions If I see them on test.
2 to 2 questions

SERM

Back