6 minute solution depth problem 29

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well lets try this again:

x---------------------x------------------------x

I I I I I I I

I I I I I I I

I I I I I I I

I I I I I I I

I I I I I I I

I I I I I I I

I I I I I I I

x---------------------x------------------------x

Where x are columns, --------- are joists, and I represent beams in a steel framed structure.

I don't have any experience with steel building structures but a good deal in wood framing. From looking at the above I would have considered the I to be the joists, just as floor joist in a house, and the ----------- to be the beams since they support the joists.

Is the original problem correct in its description?

As long as you understand the load path, it's just a matter of terminology. You are correct. The load flows from the floor plate to the joists (they call them beams). These are the elements oriented vertically on your screen and these transer their end reactions to the beams (elements oriented vertically on your screen). which in turn are supported by the columns. One important thing to remember is that the elements supporting the floor experience load distributed over their entire length, while the next layer experiences point loads.

Oh, copy and paste - a gift and a curse. I meant to write (second line):

"... and these transfer their end reactions to the beams (elements oriented HORIZONTALLY on your screen)."

Back