2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I had someone use my info to open a bank account in February so I had already alerted the FTC and set up monitoring all that, but apparently it doesn’t flag unemployment?

FYI - I and at least three of my coworkers have had our SSN used to fraudulently file an unemployment claim in WA. Even though I'm working and not collecting unemployment right now I tried to create an account on the unemployment website (because my one coworker had alerted everyone about her SSN being used) and sure enough my SSN was linked to some random email address that wasn't mine. 
At the risk of being Capt Obvious, it sounds like your job's personnel files have been hacked

mr snick's info was stolen a couple years ago with that major big box store security breach.  It got really bad, the only way some of the companies would talk to him was through lifelock..thankfully he didn't cancel after the free 2 yrs the bigboxs gave because that is when the major hacking started with the stolen info.  He  put the permanent freeze on the 3 major creditscore companies last year and he still gets notes from att/tmoblie/verizon about phones in his name or credit card denials because they couldn't verify.  They don't always use the major 3.  

mr snick's info was stolen a couple years ago with that major big box store security breach.  It got really bad, the only way some of the companies would talk to him was through lifelock..thankfully he didn't cancel after the free 2 yrs the bigboxs gave because that is when the major hacking started with the stolen info.  He  put the permanent freeze on the 3 major creditscore companies last year and he still gets notes from att/tmoblie/verizon about phones in his name or credit card denials because they couldn't verify.  They don't always use the major 3.  
After the big box hack, I went to primarily cash transactions for retail purchases. Nobody ever had identity stolen paying cash.

For online purchases, I use a traditional credit card since the fraud protections are better than with bank card.

One question I always had about big box hack, was why was all that information being stored.

4d815edc9019777b844b54c1dd62be88.jpg

last summer I was dicing up a bunch of jalapeno peppers we had grown and my MIL ( who was unfortunately both there, and helping) looked at me funny when I was wearing those blue latex gloves to cut them in. later on not so much......... :D  

Yeah, I had someone use my info to open a bank account in February so I had already alerted the FTC and set up monitoring all that, but apparently it doesn’t flag unemployment?
Went to visit the wife when they had her working doing COVID testing in Bethlehem, PA. Don’t do a lot of interstate driving so I’m not in the habit of checking for skimmers at gas pumps. Apparently I was gotten on the way home because a $53 charge showed up from Amazon that wasn’t mine. Fortunately it was a prepaid debit card so they didn’t have my actual bank info, but I wasn’t very optimistic about getting my $$$ back. Called Amazon and the card and I got refunded though. Amazon looked it up and there were actually 3, but I had already turned off the card on the app.

Fast forward to a few days after I got home and the Amazon guy drops off a set of wireless earbuds. Looked it up and, sure enough, they are right around $50. Guess they forgot to tell them that, if you’re going to steal someone’s info, you don’t have the stuff shipped to their address. And BTW, the earbuds are really nice. 😁

last summer I was dicing up a bunch of jalapeno peppers we had grown and my MIL ( who was unfortunately both there, and helping) looked at me funny when I was wearing those blue latex gloves to cut them in. later on not so much......... :D  
My buddy grows tomatoes and all sorts of crazy peppers (Carolina Reapers, Scorpions, etc.).  He usually gives me a couple of "salsa kits" ever year with a bunch of tomatoes and peppers.  I cut up a bunch of peppers for salsa without gloves on.  Washed my hands at least twice during the salsa making process.  Took a piss about an hour later and burned for about 2 days.

^- that is exactly why I started wearing the gloves :D

We end up growing a ton of peppers and we freeze them and use them throughout the winter - fairly handy to have around, but yeah they can burn..

My buddy grows tomatoes and all sorts of crazy peppers (Carolina Reapers, Scorpions, etc.).  He usually gives me a couple of "salsa kits" ever year with a bunch of tomatoes and peppers.  I cut up a bunch of peppers for salsa without gloves on.  Washed my hands at least twice during the salsa making process.  Took a piss about an hour later and burned for about 2 days.
I made that mistake after picking and cutting up habanero peppers from our garden.  I still wince thinking about it while my Significant Other still laughs about it.

I made that mistake after picking and cutting up habanero peppers from our garden.  I still wince thinking about it while my Significant Other still laughs about it.
First time he ate crabs, my nephew almost made the mistake of not washing his hands before taking a piss. Old Bay stings too,

Were gonna teach him a life lesson, but my brother chickened out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back