2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of them, surprisingly enough, just got back from a cruise on the Nile and the third from some conference in D.C.  There are 5 more people being checked, but I think they all involved people coming back from China recently.

When I got in to work this morning, I had 4 emails about how to telework and invites to meetings about teleworking.(1)(2)Fortunately, even though I'm too new to start teleworking, my supervisor had me set up for it already in case a situation came up that I needed to.  All we need is a card reader and we can log in to the system with our badge on our personal PC.

State of Ohio confirmed 3 cases and the governor immediately declared a state of emergency....

giphy.gif

I saw that and thought the same... but I was supposed to be going to Cleveland area for a work meeting in three weeks, which was just cancelled due to this.

Despite what the talking heads in Indiana are saying, I'm sure they are completely swamped because people are stupid and overreact to everything and still insist on getting their news/medical advice from Facebook.  I'm guessing 99.5% of the calls they get are:
  "Have you been to China/Italy/on a cruise/etc. recently?"
  "uhhhh, no"
  "Have you been around anyone who's been to China/Italy/on a cruise/etc. recently?"
  "ummmmm, no"
  "Yeah, you've got a cold."

Followed by 15 minutes of trying to convince someone that what they read on Facebook isn't true.

Despite what the talking heads in Indiana are saying, I'm sure they are completely swamped because people are stupid and overreact to everything and still insist on getting their news/medical advice from Facebook.  I'm guessing 99.5% of the calls they get are:
  "Have you been to China/Italy/on a cruise/etc. recently?"
  "uhhhh, no"
  "Have you been around anyone who's been to China/Italy/on a cruise/etc. recently?"
  "ummmmm, no"
  "Yeah, you've got a cold."

Followed by 15 minutes of trying to convince someone that what they read on Facebook isn't true.
This just shows how ill-equipped our country is to deal with a pandemic.  And unfortunately, sounds like the person in question did travel to a conference and has legitimate reason to suspect she has Coronavirus.  

Not sure what they can tell her via email anyways?

If she has the energy to call the news she should probably self care at home like those blokes at the CDC recommend.

Not sure what they can tell her via email anyways?

If she has the energy to call the news she should probably self care at home like those blokes at the CDC recommend.
Yeah but sounds like her elderly mom has it too, I can understand why she's trying to push for someone to talk with her. Plus, who knows how many people she may have potentially exposed before realizing she may have the virus.

Then she should drive to the hospital - they can’t tell you anything over the phone or email.

I dont disagree but........."Government Employees"   - I think most people that work for a local public health agency are the ones who couldn't get jobs at a nursing home (basically the lowest level of care possible)  - mainly I am just saying I am  not shocked that staff from a local county or city health department would suck at their jobs..

State of Ohio confirmed 3 cases and the governor immediately declared a state of emergency....
HI still on the leaderboard with 0 confirmed at time of declaration... Some info in our main paper this morning about a person with COVID symptoms (after travelling back from Singapore) being refused tests however... Which, like @txjennah PE said is... very comforting... HI stands to lose a lot in Tourism $$$, so there is actually an industry interest in minimizing our numbers.

HI still on the leaderboard with 0 confirmed at time of declaration... Some info in our main paper this morning about a person with COVID symptoms (after travelling back from Singapore) being refused tests however... Which, like @txjennah PE said is... very comforting... HI stands to lose a lot in Tourism $$$, so there is actually an industry interest in minimizing our numbers.
Oh no ::face palm:: why wouldn't that person want to go get tested?  

I think the main places out of TP are costco / Sams / etc - seems to be plenty of the white stuff at grocery stores & even weird places like home depot and office depot.

I cant find any hand sanitize though - my youngest kid is a gerrm freak so I feel bad I dont have any - I am going to look through my camping supplies tonight and see if there is any there - 

I hate to admit that I agree with the CDC on something, but I read through their website - Our work actually made it a mandatory training today, lol, but I felt better honestly - I wish someone would just read the "how to self care at home page" to the US, maybe have Shakira or someone read it out in her half time dress so people will pay attention.

Oh no ::face palm:: why wouldn't that person want to go get tested?  
Apologies, I wasn't clear. The person was trying to get tested, and got refused by Dept. of Health, or whatever org. made the decision. Forget what the reasoning was. Not high risk/pre-existing conditions or something? Either way, seems... imprudent.

I think the main places out of TP are costco / Sams / etc - seems to be plenty of the white stuff at grocery stores & even weird places like home depot and office depot.

I cant find any hand sanitize though - my youngest kid is a gerrm freak so I feel bad I dont have any - I am going to look through my camping supplies tonight and see if there is any there - 

I hate to admit that I agree with the CDC on something, but I read through their website - Our work actually made it a mandatory training today, lol, but I felt better honestly - I wish someone would just read the "how to self care at home page" to the US, maybe have Shakira or someone read it out in her half time dress so people will pay attention.
I've used a lot of stuff accessible from this page to provide training at my office. Going to a nursing home this afternoon to calm fears about "what do we do with the waste??!!!" (you treat it just like any other medical waste).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/index.html

Then Kentucky swoops in and says "hold my beer."  They declared a state of emergency after the 1st confirmed case.  And Berea College just announced that they are cancelling the rest of the semester and sending all students home from the dorms.

Back