2-day NCEES Structural Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McEngr

Reaction score
The one positive of the NCEES Structural Exam (2-day) is that there will be published study material by the creators of the exam. This means that there isn't as much paranoia about how the format and difficulty level is. Because Oregon had a 0% pass rate in 2009 for the SE III, I'm basically thinking I didn't pass in 2010. Therefore, I've already bought the book. I believe I will actually study diligently for this exam and pass it the first time. See below:

NCEES Study Materials

McEngr, I am already there with you...Started working that new NCEES book and problem set a last weekend, I am about 60% through it. FYI, they really do ask questions from the cold form steel manual in both the vertical and lateral portions. A few of the AISC questions in the lateral section have thrown me for a loop already. They are pushing SDC "D" items heavily.

Bottom line for me so far...I think generally think the AM multiple choice problems are "do-able" in both days. Time on the PM format has me scared in the vertical, have not tried the PM lateral yet...

I also note that many of the solutions so far do not appear to use items like interaction diagrams...all long hand solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already bought the book as well. I haven't spent much time reviewing it yet, but I figure I might as well get it over with.

Thanks for the info McEngr.

I haven't bought the book. I plan on finding how I did on my exam and make plans early next year if things go south.

Thanks for the info McEngr.
I haven't bought the book. I plan on finding how I did on my exam and make plans early next year if things go south.
From the sounds of things, kevo, I think you'll be fine.

The one positive of the NCEES Structural Exam (2-day) is that there will be published study material by the creators of the exam. This means that there isn't as much paranoia about how the format and difficulty level is. Because Oregon had a 0% pass rate in 2009 for the SE III, I'm basically thinking I didn't pass in 2010. Therefore, I've already bought the book. I believe I will actually study diligently for this exam and pass it the first time. See below:

NCEES Study Materials

You said you did very well this time?

NCEES Study Materials

You said you did very well this time?
I think I did OK, but after seeing Oregon's results for the WA SE III is a mere zero percent pass rate, I think it's a little insurmountable.

I looked ahead in the sample exam. It does appear to be fairly well balanced. Taking problems from all possible materials and applications. One personal big negative: The morning sections still draw problems from AASHTO that we all have to take. I wish NCEES would drop that one for building folks. That's another 5 inch thick book with different load factors I really don't need or ever intend on using.

If the actual exam is this balanced, we may have a shot. I would 50% of the lateral problems in the AM revolve around SDC D....Oddly, the Lateral PM building problems look easier than the Vertical PM problems (from a time point of view). Blunty, a few of the exam questions nailed me on braced frames. They really work the quirks in the codes. I think I could do this exam, but would need 24 hours, not 16 to be comfortable. The sample exam was oddly light on "basic, normal" steel and concrete problems.

However, I now need to find a bigger cart for the exams. Maybe I can rent a pack mule, or hire a sherpa, or 2 or 3 young EIT's...

AASHTO for the PE Exam

The notes on this publication kinda make me leary of purchasing, but it's much cheaper than the full version... can anyone attest to how well this will prepare me for the SE 2-day?

NCEES Study Materials

If I will pass the PE Civil this OCt 2010, I will write the PE structural this Spring 2011, I have already contacted my board and they say I'm qualified to write PE structural whether I pass or not the PE civil Oct 2010. I will purchase this NCEES Structural book thats for sure.

Sounds like I need to get prepared for the new 16 hours exam even though I feel very good after the WA SE III exam. I ordered the sample questions from NCEES yesterday.

NCEES Study Materials

Where in oregon do you live? I am interested in forming a study group for the SE Exam near Portland. Thanks

NCEES Study Materials

Where in oregon do you live? I am interested in forming a study group for the SE Exam near Portland. Thanks
I live near Salem now. It might be too far away to be worth it. Let me know the proximity of where you think you might meet. I can go as far as Wilsonville to the Portland area.

Does any know that what states in Northeast will provide 2-day structural engineer exam? I am thinking to take the SE exam but I don't want to travel ti IL or west coast. Thank you for your help.

Does any know that what states in Northeast will provide 2-day structural engineer exam? I am thinking to take the SE exam but I don't want to travel ti IL or west coast. Thank you for your help.
It will be administered by NCEES, so I would imagine your options are much more open than before. Chances are, if your state was administering the SE 2, you will be able to take it in that respective state. Of course, please check with your home state's board to get the official answer. Good luck!

It will be administered by NCEES, so I would imagine your options are much more open than before. Chances are, if your state was administering the SE 2, you will be able to take it in that respective state. Of course, please check with your home state's board to get the official answer. Good luck!
Thanks. I know Maryland only has SE1. I hope MD can offer 2-day exam in the near future.

I live in NJ and I have tried to register via the NCEES website for the SE exam with no luck. I have sent an email to ncees and I am currently awaiting a reply. I am not looking forward to traveling to Illinois.

I live in NJ and I have tried to register via the NCEES website for the SE exam with no luck. I have sent an email to ncees and I am currently awaiting a reply. I am not looking forward to traveling to Illinois.
I live in PA but very closed to NJ. Please let me know the NCEES' response. Thank you.

Thanks. I know Maryland only has SE1. I hope MD can offer 2-day exam in the near future.
Virginia is offering the two day SE exam but new applicantions due date might have passed. Check with dpor @ 804-367-8512.

Virginia is offering the two day SE exam but new applicantions due date might have passed. Check with dpor @ 804-367-8512.
I checked the examination schedule of Va, they do have Structural II exam. but I think there are no SE license of State of Virginia

Back