101 Solved Env. Eng Problems, 6 minute solutions, Kaplan book??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTjoy

Reaction score
Basically, I want to know if I should bother getting any of these books for practicing problems:

--

1) 101 Solved Environmental Engineering Problems.

One of the reviewers on Amazon noted that the book is the same as "Environmental Engineering Solved Problems" by Schneiter (and I do have that book and there are not exactly 101 problems, but if most of them are the same I would very much like to know). Can anyone else attest to this claim (that the books are basically the same), and would anyone recommend the 101 Solved Problems book?

2) Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Water Resources and Environmental Problems.

Many Civil PE folks on the forum seem to like the Six Minute Solutions books, but I wanted to hear from you guys! Are the types of problems in there useful for the Env PE exam? Of course it's always good to learn more :) but I also want to practice problems that are similar to the Env PE exam's problems, in style and length.

3) Environmental Engineering: Problems & Solutions, published by Kaplan.

I have not read *any* reviews of this. Do you know ANYONE that has used this and could provide some feedback on it?

--

I currently have the ENVRM, ENVPP (Lindeburg) and the two Schneiter books - Environmental Engineering Solved Problems (ENSP2) and Environmental Engineering Practice PE Exams (ENPX3), 3rd Edition - because I bought all 4 as a package. I keep hearing mixed reviews of these last 2 Schneiter books. I also have the NCEES Sample Questions book.

Anyone have any advice or even colleagues that used these? Has anyone found any of the above very useful for the Env PE exam?

I got the same 4 pack of Lindeburg books as well, and in all honesty, all I got through was the practice problems and the NCEES sample problems. I meant to get through the other example problems, but ran out of time. I thought the NCEES sample problems were very close to the level of difficulty and types of problems found on the real exam.

I don't know anything about the first two references, but my coworker has an older version of Envr Engr Problems and Solutions (1995 version). I borrowed it for the exam but never used it. Looking at the table of contents, it only covers fluid flow, water treatment, wastewater treatment, biosolids handling and economics. If you think you need additional work on these types of problems, by all means, see if you can find a copy either used or cheaper. I don't know if I'd spend $140 on it. You can get the 2004 version in paperback for 40 or 50 bucks. The index doesn't look too bad either, so it may be helpful for looking stuff up during the exam.

Since it can't hurt to do as many problems as possible, I would work through as many problems as you can from your current resources, and then see if you even have time to do any more problems from additional resources. That is, unless someone else knows that one of the other resources is better than the ones you have now.

the Schnieter books are the safe, as far as I know. 'Solved problems" is good, and a good guide for studying (in addition to the ENVRM's problem book and the NCEES sample exam).

I got the 6 minute solutions book for the Civil Enviro module, and used it only for practice. it does not cover the same stuff as the Enviro exam - it completely neglects air and safety, for example, and over plays the hydro stuff. So I would only reocmmend it if you find you have time for more practice, but even for that, your spare time might be better spent reading your references and regulations.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I've been able to go through much of Lindeburg's and Schneiter's practice problems, as well as some of the NCEES problems. Many seem to require graphing things and just seem so long and not representative of what the actual exam problems will look like (at least according to what I've heard). I have not even cracked open the Schneiter practice exams yet, so hopefully I'll get to that soon.

Fortunately, I've received quite a lot of practice problems from my review class, and I'm feeling better about at least recognizing the type of problem and then knowing the general approach and where to look up the formula.

I think I need to focus on studying on Wastewater, Haz Waste, Safety - where I feel weakest right now. The latter I haven't really studied at all just yet, and wastewater I have studied but only done a handful of practice problems.

So, in summary, I don't think I'll buy the extra practice problem books unless I magically finish all the problems I already have. Given my crazy work schedule for the next month, I don't think that's gonna happen!!

On the long problems - don't skip doing these, because what you will see on the exam will include "pieces" of long solutions. Your familiarity with the methods of doing these problems will be key to deciding, quickly, which little part they are asking for.

I'd hit as many wastewater problems as I could, too, if I were you, as well as the hazwaste "problems" that schneiter gives you. Some of those can be real bears, especially in terms of unit conversions .... ugghhh (flashback...)

Back