Road Guy

35 years and a wakeup

• Admin
  • 17,954 posts
  • Interests:Yoga Pants, Ski!, SCUBA, Backpacking, Kicking Ass, etc
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Highway Capacity Manual - Especially read the chapter on "Defaults"
-----> Teach yourself to use the worksheets at the end of each chapter, saves time

Land Surveyor Reference Manual (for bearing-azimuth problems)

ITE- Traffic Engineering Handbook

ITE - Transportation Planning Manaul

Roadside Design Guide (Read the small print)
----->Check for Updates!!!!

MUTCD (Also read the fine print)

AASHTO Green Book - Take current edition (seriously check the AASHTO site for revisions just before the exam)
----->Use Recent Green Book

Design & Control of Concrete Mixtures - PCA - Helped in the PM

6 Minute Soltions- Transportation - very handy

I also found a Soils Textbook Handy in the PM.

Also make sure you know how to do an "average difficulty" critical path problem.

Also make sure you can do the mass haul diagram.

Engineering Economy - These are really simple if you work some, dont lose easy points.

#2 GoLucky

GoLucky

PE GAL

• 62 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Thanks a lot for a detailed listing of all the necessary references. This will definately help.

QUOTE (Road Guy @ Feb 10 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-----> Teach yourself to use the worksheets at the end of each chapter, saves time

AASHTO Green Book - Take current edition (seriously check the AASHTO site for revisions just before the exam)

Also make sure you know how to do an "average difficulty" critical path problem.

Engineering Economy - These are really simple if you work some, dont lose easy points.

#3 sharad

sharad

Intern

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Road Guy @ Feb 10 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#4 St_Kentucky

St_Kentucky

Intern

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Don't forget to print the specified updates to the manuals.

#5 aucivileng

aucivileng

Project Engineer

• 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

I would recommend taking a review course those notes you get (and experience) after going through it will be a huge help to passing the exam. There are several out there just look around. Most offer differing schedules so you can pick the one that fits you the best. Well worth the money!

#6 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Road Guy @ Feb 10 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks RG

I passed using Lindburg's CERM and Goswami's All-In-One for my AM and general PM. For my Transpo-specific PM references, I used the HCM (2000), AASHTO PGDHS (2004) and MUTCD (Mine is 2003, although 2009 is the current edition). I also brought the AASHTO RDG but only because I was able to borrow a copy for free. It helped answer a few questions. I didn't bring anything else (No ITE books, no soils books, etc.) Those all might be helpful but, if money is an issue, I think the big 3 to have for the Transpo depth are the HCM, PGDHS ("Green Book") and the MUTCD.

Bringing a separate Survey reference is good too for geometric design problems, although CERM should have this info. too. I don't recall any bearing/azimuth problems though.

Not sure what you mean by read the fine print?

I checked and the 2004 PGDHS has no errata - and a new release is due out this year (2011). Depending on your printing of the HCM, there is errata. I think the RDG has available errata too. Anyway, it is a good idea to check all your references for available errata.

I used the 6-Min Solutions too but found them to take way longer than 6 mins. I personally liked the NCEES practice exam.

Anyway, if I can give one piece of advice, it's stick to the exam syllabus. Link to syllabus and references.

Best of luck.

#7 milecargo

milecargo

Intern

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (Road Guy @ Feb 10 2009, 01:17 PM)

Thanks RG

I passed using Lindburg's CERM and Goswami's All-In-One for my AM and general PM. For my Transpo-specific PM references, I used the HCM (2000), AASHTO PGDHS (2004) and MUTCD (Mine is 2003, although 2009 is the current edition). I also brought the AASHTO RDG but only because I was able to borrow a copy for free. It helped answer a few questions. I didn't bring anything else (No ITE books, no soils books, etc.) Those all might be helpful but, if money is an issue, I think the big 3 to have for the Transpo depth are the HCM, PGDHS ("Green Book") and the MUTCD.

Bringing a separate Survey reference is good too for geometric design problems, although CERM should have this info. too. I don't recall any bearing/azimuth problems though.

Not sure what you mean by read the fine print?

I checked and the 2004 PGDHS has no errata - and a new release is due out this year (2011). Depending on your printing of the HCM, there is errata. I think the RDG has available errata too. Anyway, it is a good idea to check all your references for available errata.

I used the 6-Min Solutions too but found them to take way longer than 6 mins. I personally liked the NCEES practice exam.

Anyway, if I can give one piece of advice, it's stick to the exam syllabus. Link to syllabus and references.

Best of luck.

I found my textbooks from College extremely useful during the 8 hour. While the bulk of the non-calculation problems I was able to pull from the CERM, I also luckily had my Geotech textbook, for example, and was able to run to its index for answers. For example, one of the test questions was regarding compaction, and my Geotech book rocked it for me.

I didn't touch the textbooks before test day, just had them there to use the indecies in case I needed them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=