17 replies to this topic

#1 kuldeep malhi

kuldeep malhi

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:19 PM

I recently passed the PE(Civil) April'08 Exam. I would like to know which Seal/Stamp is better? Rubber or Embossed? Is it better to have the exp. date on it?

#2 sehad

sehad

Chief Engineer

• Veteran
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (kuldeep malhi @ Jul 2 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recently passed the PE(Civil) April'08 Exam. I would like to know which Seal/Stamp is better? Rubber or Embossed? Is it better to have the exp. date on it?

I personally ordered the rubber stamp but different states have different requirements. La allows an 1 5/8" or 2" rubber or embossed. I've only been working here 5 years, but I've yet to see a set of plans stamped by an embossed stamp.

#3 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 20,513 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

Really depends on the state like Sehad mentioned. Some states are really picky, where others could care less. I wouldn't get the expiration date in the stamp unless required otherwise you would have to buy a new stamp every renewal period. Rubber stamp vs embosser is also probably state specific, if not personal preference. From my experience getting reports that have been embossed, they don't show up in photocopies which can cause problems.

#4 kuldeep malhi

kuldeep malhi

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (sehad @ Jul 2 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally ordered the rubber stamp but different states have different requirements. La allows an 1 5/8" or 2" rubber or embossed. I've only been working here 5 years, but I've yet to see a set of plans stamped by an embossed stamp.

thanks for info.

#5 kuldeep malhi

kuldeep malhi

Intern

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (snickerd3 @ Jul 2 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really depends on the state like Sehad mentioned. Some states are really picky, where others could care less. I wouldn't get the expiration date in the stamp unless required otherwise you would have to buy a new stamp every renewal period. Rubber stamp vs embosser is also probably state specific, if not personal preference. From my experience getting reports that have been embossed, they don't show up in photocopies which can cause problems.

thanks for information.

#6 squishles10

squishles10

CEO

• Veteran
  • 1,045 posts
  • Interests:Sudoku, crosswords, homebrewing, lava lamps, college football, and country music.

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

its hard to seal a signed closed envelope with an embosser. i know a few people that either rejected requests for recs or had to order an ink stamp just for that purpose.

#7 MRDPE

MRDPE

Intern

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:42 AM

Why not get both?

The rubber stamp will probably be used much more frequently however. There are some nice self-inking ones out there. If you put the license expiration date on the stamp you will need to get a new one more frequently.

http://theprofession...-stamp-or-seal/

MRDPE

#8 MarcG

MarcG

Intern

• 39 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (kuldeep malhi @ Jul 2 2008, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't passed yet...so take what I say with a grain of salt

Rubber vs. Embossed: I have no real clue as everyone I've worked with uses a rubber stamp.

Exp. date vs. no exp. date: It depends on how often you will have to physically stamp drawings...I know people who will stamp 100+ sheets at a time a few times a week...I'm sure that one less step makes a difference. If you have an electronic stamp and only physically stamp from time to time...then no exp. date makes sense.

#9 squishles10

squishles10

CEO

• Veteran
  • 1,045 posts
  • Interests:Sudoku, crosswords, homebrewing, lava lamps, college football, and country music.

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (MarcG @ Jul 24 2008, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't passed yet...so take what I say with a grain of salt

Rubber vs. Embossed: I have no real clue as everyone I've worked with uses a rubber stamp.

Exp. date vs. no exp. date: It depends on how often you will have to physically stamp drawings...I know people who will stamp 100+ sheets at a time a few times a week...I'm sure that one less step makes a difference. If you have an electronic stamp and only physically stamp from time to time...then no exp. date makes sense.

Isnt the requirement of the expiration date set by the state? California requires it (at least they did very recently- havent seen one for a year or two) and Texas wont allow it (it must look exactly like the one they publish). Anyone else have the option? Id rather have it on there- then if i lose it no one canuse it after 1 year or so (or i guess they could just order a new one- i wish theyd check that...).

#10 MEPE2B

MEPE2B

Project Manager

• 136 posts
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (squishles10 @ Sep 2 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isnt the requirement of the expiration date set by the state? California requires it (at least they did very recently- havent seen one for a year or two) and Texas wont allow it (it must look exactly like the one they publish). Anyone else have the option? Id rather have it on there- then if i lose it no one canuse it after 1 year or so (or i guess they could just order a new one- i wish theyd check that...).

I believe Georgia requires the date to be written in by hand when you sign.

#11 jproctor6

jproctor6

IT Design Engineer

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (MEPE2B @ Sep 2 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe Georgia requires the date to be written in by hand when you sign.

Same for NC. There's no date on the stamp itself. You just sign and date below when sealing prints.

#12 benbo

benbo

Veteran

• Charter Member
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (squishles10 @ Aug 31 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In California it's up to you. If it's not on there you have to write it on the doc.

From PE Act, (Note the word "may")

6764. Seal or stamp
Each professional engineer registered under this chapter shall, upon registration, obtain a seal or stamp of a design authorized by the board bearing the registrant’s name, number of his or her certificate or authority, the legend “professional engineer” and the designation of the particular branch or authority in which he or she is registered, and may bear the expiration date of the certificate or authority.

#13 Kuku

Kuku

Spark with Potential

• 93 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

I've never seen an embossed seal used (North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, DC, and Tennessee) since I've been working. I did, however, buy one for myself just for the novelty of it... biggrin.gif

#14 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

I've seen plans that were embossed in Ohio, but lately it seems 90% of plans are stamped. The place where I used to work stamped theirs. They had a sheet with rows of signed stamps so, once plans were ready to go out, the CAD guys could stick a signed stamp on every sheet and run off copies. Before someone jumps on here about how bad that is, the VP of engineering approved and stamped the final set plans when they were printed on mylar, but when some office wants 15 copies of a set of plans that are 12 pages each and each page has to be stamped and signed it's a lot more efficient (and cheaper) to have the CAD guys do it.

#15 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

BTW, since both are used in Ohio, I got the embosser and the stamp and I found a place that, when I got both, I also got the electronic version (a .jpeg of my stamp so I can just insert it into a document) for free.

#16 Art

Art

Principal in Charge

• Veteran
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:24 AM

get both...

the stamp is nice for specs, reports, etc., repetative stuff

the embossed for letter, calcs, court docs, etc...."one of's"

a stamp is almost good for everything...some docs (payment requests/certifications) require the embossed...

#17 JoeBoone82

JoeBoone82

Project Manager

• 127 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

I believe we have sent out plans to Florida before, and every page required the embossing with signature & date. Those embossers can wear your hands out for sure, and if you do it too hard, it cuts through the paper. That is the only state I can think of where I have seen it used. I've seen the rubber ink stamp used in TN, OH, KY, GA and AL. I have yet to see one with exp. date on it.

In conclusion (lol), I guess get both, so you're set for all states.

#18 Jtiger

Jtiger

Project Engineer

• 82 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:55 PM

My wife is a Notary and in TN they no longer recognize the embossed one. Also, if you get one with an expiration date you have to get a new one when you renew. With notary you have a "my commission expires X/X/XX" line. I've never seen an embosser in the last few years for PE's in TN.

In short, I would recommend the rubber ink and get the embosser only if asked to or required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=