7 replies to this topic

#1 jla14

jla14

Intern

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

I have to sit for the exam, again...looking for an additional resource and have read good things about both htese references - any thoughts? I will be taking Civil/Transpo..Thanks

#2 ipswitch

ipswitch

Principal in Charge

• 322 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (jla14 @ Jun 3 2011, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to sit for the exam, again...looking for an additional resource and have read good things about both htese references - any thoughts? I will be taking Civil/Transpo..Thanks

Hoel & Garber is great for the PM. I suggest you also acquire the teacher's solution manual with the text.

#3 ipswitch

ipswitch

Principal in Charge

• 322 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

I can't remember where I bought the teacher's manual. I googled it.

#4 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

Which Hoel and Garber book are you guys talking about?

#5 civilized_naah

civilized_naah

Principal in Charge

• Registered Vendor
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (ptatohed @ Jun 7 2011, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which Hoel and Garber book are you guys talking about?

Traffic and Highway Engineering

#6 maximus808

maximus808

Principal in Charge

• 253 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:50 AM

If you are taking the Transportation Depth, I recommend both. Goswami's book is so concise in a good way and the example are easy to understand. The CERM will no doubt be your guide to passing the PE but Goswami's will be just as helpful. Good luck.

#7 ptatohed

ptatohed

Chief Engineer

• Supporting Member
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

For what it is worth, I passed with only the All-In-One by Goswami and not the Hoel&Garber book. However, it does seem like you are comparing apples and oranges, no? Goswami = general review of all PE exam topics and Hoel&Garber = specific review of transpo. Good luck.

#8 kstatenupe

kstatenupe

Project Engineer

• 68 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (ptatohed @ Jun 10 2011, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For what it is worth, I passed with only the All-In-One by Goswami and not the Hoel&Garber book. However, it does seem like you are comparing apples and oranges, no? Goswami = general review of all PE exam topics and Hoel&Garber = specific review of transpo. Good luck.

I took Goswami's course. THe book comes with it. Yes it was loot,but money well spent. This was my 2nd time taking it (Civil -Trans). It was night and day how I felt after the exam. Tons of problems. THe lectures were good. He email everything to you as well, so if you missed a lecture it was in your in box no later than the next morning. I think for each discipline he gave us 20+ AM type questions and 20+ PM type questions. At the end of the course he gave us an exam with the PM being the are we signed up for.

Honestly I think I cracked the AI1 book open for the majority of the problems that I needed to figure out how to do it, or check my work.

THe way I studied was I would do a problem and then find out where that section was in his book and the CERM. Tab it and move on the to the next one. I had done some many problems that I had to consolidate tabs.
If you do decide to sign up for his course please use me as your reference. kstatenupe@gmaill.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

photo
=