Ultimate Book Cart

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul S

Meow
Reaction score
Here is a look at what I will be carrying my books into the PE exam next week. I will have some free space for snacks and drinks.

The costs are the $30 collapsible hand truck from Lowe's (150 lb capacity), and $22.50 for the three plastic crates from Staples. I then took it down to our "soft goods" shop and asked for a simple cover in case of rain - they went a little above and beyond what I was thinking, but did a nice job.

PE_Exam_Cart__1_.jpg

PE_Exam_Cart__2_.jpg

PE_Exam_Cart__3_.jpg

PE_Exam_Cart__4_.jpg

The 2" wide velcro on either sides of the flap is a little loud when opening, but aside from that I think I am set.

What do you think?

The 2" wide velcro on either sides of the flap is a little loud when opening, but aside from that I think I am set.
What do you think?
Very impressive. I wouldn't worry about the noise aspect since you're going to open it before the exam starts and you probably won't need to close it until you're done...

nice

did you put all your books in and tried to wheel around with all your books in it?? If you didn't, I suggest you do a test run.

Good luck.

And you should have no problem hiding bodies with it when the exam is over!

Whoa, that's a sweet setup!!

Have you tried to fit all of your stuff in it yet?

My wife got me one of those, minus the straps, to replace our more cumbersome hand truck for smaller tasks. In my experience, it has been pretty reedy, and I keep expecting it to fail, but so far it hasn't.

Its compactness when folded is quite handy.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice
did you put all your books in and tried to wheel around with all your books in it?? If you didn't, I suggest you do a test run.

Good luck.
I did a 10 minute walk around the shop with a fully loaded cart (parking lots and off-road) and got some very strange looks from employees, but the cart held up well. I thought of putting on some rain gear and having people spray me and the cart with water to test the water tightness of the 22 oz vinyl cover, but then I would get really strange looks.

I initially thought it was excessive, until I looked at your profile and saw 'structual'.

Take Anyhing I say here as opinion, and constuctive criticism.

For the majority of people taking the PE, that many books would be more of a hinderance than a benifit. A cart 1/3 of that should be used for most people. You should decide ahead off time what you need ( based on sample problems) and pare down the library. If there was not time limit, all of those books would be great. Realistically, you will only use 3-4 books for the entire exam.

Good luck

Nice set-up... in NJ, we had to keep the aisles clear, so I ended up taking my hand truck, laying it down and putting the crates on it face up... using it more like a file drawer under my table with one crate on the table.

Do you have the ability to break it down if they won't let you keep it in the aisle next to you?

Realistically, you will only use 3-4 books for the entire exam.
I hope that is the case, but would kick myself during the exam if the answer to a question was in a book sitting back in the office.

Do you have the ability to break it down if they won't let you keep it in the aisle next to you?
Yes that was a design criteria that I could break it apart quickly. It also works nicely laying down.

Realistically, you will only use 3-4 books for the entire exam.
I hope that is the case, but would kick myself during the exam if the answer to a question was in a book sitting back in the office.

Yes that was a design criteria that I could break it apart quickly. It also works nicely laying down.

After Friday, you'll have to post how your portable library fared during the exams. I'm certain you will get a lot of looks from the proctors. Honestly, unless you were taking the structural depth, you won't need that many books, but do whatever it takes for peace of mind.

Good luck!

Just want to add my 2 cents.

I am a firm believer of taking more references than less. Of course, you should not be digging through books searching for answers (you should already have tabbed them right?!!). The advantage of having more references than less comes after you've done the first and second pass through the questions and answered them all as best you can. Then you start checking your extra references to try to confirm the answers to those questions you guessed on.

I spent the entire 7th hour of the exam flipping through books that I had never opened before and found answers to 3 questions I had guessed on.

Just want to add my 2 cents.
I am a firm believer of taking more references than less. Of course, you should not be digging through books searching for answers (you should already have tabbed them right?!!). The advantage of having more references than less comes after you've done the first and second pass through the questions and answered them all as best you can. Then you start checking your extra references to try to confirm the answers to those questions you guessed on.

I spent the entire 7th hour of the exam flipping through books that I had never opened before and found answers to 3 questions I had guessed on.
I am of the same opinion... after all the sacrifices, expenses, and preparation - I am glad that I carried a few extra books (transpo - 3 milk crates worth) than regretting that I had left a book at home.

I am of the same opinion... after all the sacrifices, expenses, and preparation - I am glad that I carried a few extra books (transpo - 3 milk crates worth) than regretting that I had left a book at home.
^^ I'm in agreement.....I told myself I wouldn't bring too many references but as I was packing my bags (wish I had a sweet a$$ cart like you - would have definitely saved my shoulders!) I found myself throwing in a couple extra. I'm glad I did, I recall at least being able to answer 4 additional questions with a last minute add in book!

My advice echoes others....have all your main refs tabbed but if you have the room and time at the end of each session you may find it beneficial to have those other sources. Who knows, those couple of correct answers might get you the: :party-smiley-048: :bananadoggywow: :dancingnaughty: in 3 months!! my 0.02

Best of luck, look forward to seeing the happy emoticons in the results section!

I'm doing something similar (found the same cheap cart at Lowes), and I'm taking the Structural depth, but I'm only using two crates. I bought three, just in case, though. I'm sure if I had more references I would fill the third crate and not think twice.

Update:

The cart worked very well. It worked well going steps. Luckily I was able to keep it as is against a wall and use it just like a bookshelf. I did get a couple of compliments.

I did not use every book I brought, but I would bring them all again if there is a next time!

Back