12 replies to this topic

#1 seanc06

seanc06

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

I am taking the PE in a few weeks in the Transpo depth, and I had heard that there are a lot of signal timing questions on the recent exams. I'm just curious... does anyone know what types of questions are asked? Also, where can I go to get forumlas for all of the timing parameters, because the CERM is a little lacking when it comes to that information. For example, I had a question on the 6 minute solutions that asks to come up with the minimum cycle length based on the Webster's formula... and I can't find that forumla anywhere!

Thanks!

#2 Vishal

Vishal

^^ The Ultimate Driving Machine

• Veteran
  • 734 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

On your first question, no one is allowed to tell you about the type or specifics of the questions that were asked on the exam. We are bound by a written agreement. What I can offer is this, if a subject is on the NCEES published list then it can appear on the test.

Traffic Engineering Handbook will give you the information you are seeking for Traffic Signal timing. Refer to HCM Chapter 16 for Webster's formula.

Please tell me that you have looked at these references beyond "Roadway Design" type questions. If you haven't then I strongly suggest you know what these references contain. Something tells me that you haven't looked at right places when you say that you can't find it anywhere. Consider taking the NCEES listed references to the exam. You WILL need to refer to references beyond CERM for Transportation Depth.

You can also refer to Traffic Engineering textbook by Hoel & Garber for additional information.

#3 seanc06

seanc06

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:47 PM

Thank you for your help. I've definitely been studying all of the required transportation topics, and have been utilizing all of the references, including the HCS and the ITE Traffic Engineering Handbook. The traffic signal timing stuff was the only subject that I couldn't really find the forumlas and such that I needed, but I guess I just wasn't looking hard enough in the right places.

Thanks again.

#4 dneva

dneva

Project Engineer

• 92 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

I'm lazy. Chapter 16 is huge. What page number?

#5 markos

markos

Intern

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (seanc06 @ Oct 5 2009, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am taking the PE in a few weeks in the Transpo depth, and I had heard that there are a lot of signal timing questions on the recent exams. I'm just curious... does anyone know what types of questions are asked? Also, where can I go to get forumlas for all of the timing parameters, because the CERM is a little lacking when it comes to that information. For example, I had a question on the 6 minute solutions that asks to come up with the minimum cycle length based on the Webster's formula... and I can't find that forumla anywhere!

Thanks!

Edited by markos, 15 October 2009 - 06:10 PM.

#6 markos

markos

Intern

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

Webster method is used to calculate the optimum cycle length for an intersection. You can find the formula on ITE handbook under traffic signals.

#7 Ambrug20

Ambrug20

Project Engineer

• 193 posts
  • Interests:Working on Trasportation PE

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (dneva @ Oct 8 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm lazy. Chapter 16 is huge. What page number?

See page 16-21 for Webster deley formula and more info on 16-99

#8 dneva

dneva

Project Engineer

• 92 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:17 PM

Tanya,

Thanks for the help. Vishal is being greedy with the info.

#9 Vishal

Vishal

^^ The Ultimate Driving Machine

• Veteran
  • 734 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (dneva @ Oct 16 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tanya,

Thanks for the help. Vishal is being greedy with the info.

It is you who is taking the test, not me. If you are lazy to go through a reference that you will be using on your test then I don't feel like you have earned any help. Lets just say that I was lazy to look that info for you!!

#10 civilized_naah

civilized_naah

Principal in Charge

• Registered Vendor
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Vishal @ Oct 16 2009, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is you who is taking the test, not me. If you are lazy to go through a reference that you will be using on your test then I don't feel like you have earned any help. Lets just say that I was lazy to look that info for you!!

Well said!

#11 dneva

dneva

Project Engineer

• 92 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:00 AM

Let's just say I have better things to do with my life than spend it looking up an equation which I will never see again. You guys really need to get out more.

Good luck anyways.

#12 simpatique

simpatique

Project Manager

• 101 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

YOur reply was void of compassion ... You did not need to be so harsh with your reply .

#13 frazil

frazil

Master of the Boondoggle

• Moderators
  • 4,852 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:47 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=