LEED - Is it here to stay or just a fad?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick One

• It will be here for a long time and expand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its a fad and will disappear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SPSUEngineer

Civil Site Engineer
Reaction score
Well I worked hard and got my LEED AP Certificate. I do primarily schools, hospitals, and church work but we don't have a single LEED project yet. I'm wondering how many people think its here to stay for the long run or if it will fade away once the popularity wears off.

My problem with it is the cost involved for a building to achieve LEED Certification. Several of my clients want to do it but why spend all that money for a little plaque to hang on the wall. Many folks are implementing some of the energy saving measures recommended but are more interested in putting the LEED review/certification money into the building rather than paying an agency to give you hell during plan review all for a little plaque that says your building is LEED Certified.

Kentucky passed a state law that any government building has to be a certain level of LEED certified based on the cost of the project. So we are getting a ton of LEED projects. We also have 48 LEED APs in the office.

Fad.

Once people start tryiing to cost justify a lot of this stuff, it'll disappear like so many 'accreditation' fads before it.

We do a lot of DOE work, and every new building has to have some kind of LEED certification. I guess the Department of Energy can't build a new building unless its "energy efficient". Not that LEED does a whole lot to make a building truely energy efficient.

What is involved in the pprocess for someone to get LEED AP Certified. Classes, exam, experience requirements?

Oh, and my two cents, I think it is a "fad" until the benefits of being LEED AP outweigh the costs of the process.

What is involved in the pprocess for someone to get LEED AP Certified. Classes, exam, experience requirements?
That is the problem with LEED AP, there are no prereqs besides passing the exam. Anybody with a half of brain can get the LEED AP most don't really bring any value added services to the table.

The second problem that is emerging with LEED is that companies are beginning to realize that they can have a LEED building, without getting certified. Why should a company that is building its headquarters spend the extra 5-10% for the certification part. (I know there is a PR aspect)? They can realize all the savings by just making smart choices in the design process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Word on the street is that LEED will be rolled into the PE exam process.

So, you can say it is a fad but everyone will be doing it sooner or later. It won't be anything special like it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Word on the street is that LEED will be rolled into the PE exam process.
So, you can say it is a fad but everyone will be doing it sooner or later. It won't be anything special like it is now.
I truly believe some of the LEED Credits will become part of the uniform building code in the future.

Oh, and my two cents, I think it is a "fad" until the benefits of being LEED AP outweigh the costs of the process.
Check out this website - www.intheleed.com for all the info you need.

I truly believe some of the LEED Credits will become part of the uniform building code in the future.
UBC, don't you mean IBC?

I see your point. But I can't see a whole lot getting adopted since they are minimum standards.

New LEED Credentialing Requirements - Becoming LEED-AP+

By Lisa Willard ([email protected])

The Green Building Certification Institute (www.gcbi.org) has modified the requirements to become a LEED Accredited Professional. The new accreditation will be referred to as LEED-AP+. The purpose of this newsletter is to outline the procedures for people that currently hold the LEED-AP credential, and for those that plan to take the exams for the LEED-AP+ designation.

I registered for the LEED 2.0 exam prior to April 1, 2009, or currently hold the LEED-AP Title.

If you registered for the LEED 2.0 exam prior to April 1, you are still eligible to take the old version of the exam until June 30th, 2009, and become certified under the old guidelines. If you do not pass the exam prior to June 30th, you will need to qualify for LEED-AP+ under the new guidelines.

To have the new designation (LEED AP+), and existing LEED-AP will need to agree to the new disciplinary policy and continuing education requirements, as well as pay the maintenance fee (although the first maintenance fee will be waived). The designation that will be assigned to your credential will be as follows:

-If you took the New Construction exam, you will be designated as LEED AP+ Building Design & Construction (LEED AP+BD&C)

-If you took the Existing Building exam, you will be designated at LEED AP+ Operations & Maintenance (LEED AP+O&M)

Anyone that is an existing LEED AP can choose to transition over to the LEED AP+ certification between June 30th, 2009 and June 30th, 2011. If you do not transition over to LEED AP+, you will still be able to use the LEED AP designation, but you will be listed as inactive in the GBCI Directory.

I registered for the LEED Exam on April 1, 2009 or later, or have not yet applied.

If you are not currently a LEED AP, you will need to qualify for a LEED credential under the new tiered system. There are 2 levels that can currently be achieved:

LEED Green Associate

For the LEED Green Associate designation, there is a 2.5 hour exam that covers basic green building knowledge. This designation is intended for people who work in the building industry in more of a support role, and do not otherwise qualify for LEED AP+ Status.

LEED AP+

For the LEED AP+ designation, there are two exams that must be passed. The first test is the same as for those trying to obtain the LEED Green Associate designation. The second test follows one of the specialization tracks, including Interior Design & Construction (ID&C), Homes, Neighborhood Development (ND), Building Design & Construction (BD&C), and Operations & Maintenance (O&M). Both tests must be completed within four hours.

For all Designations

In addition to the exams, there are additional requirements to become accredited as a LEED Green Associate or LEED AP+. These requirements include:

1) Agreeing to the GBCI Disciplinary policy

2) Submitting an application including information about LEED Support (LEED Green Associate) or LEED Projects that you have been involved with in the last 2-3 years (Leed AP+)

3) Paying a maintenance fee

4) Completing continuing education requirements. 15 hours every 2 years for LEED Green Associate, 30 hours every years for LEED AP+

I believe its a fad for the commercial market because it just doesnt make sense to spend that money for a little PR on something most of the public has never heard of. We have done 1 LEED project for a university in my 8 years on the job and have been asked to "look into it" on several others, but once the client found out we could give them an efficient bldg without hiring another consultant(s) they abandoned the idea. That said, the government has never been accused of having sense. They apparently have hopped on the band wagon and for that reason LEED may just survive.

Back