Taking the PE exam in a second discipline?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robby

Reaction score
I have a B.S. in ChemE, and an M.S. in Civil & Environmental Engineering.

I just passed the PE exam in Environmental, and have just received my license in Connecticut.

I was considering taking the PE exam in a second discipline (Civil-Environmental), because I think it would give me more flexibility with getting reciprocity in the future, especially with the few states that don't recognize the Environmental discipline. Also, while Connecticut does not distinguish between the various disciplines, other states do, and I find that lately I'm doing work that is more civil than environmental, such as transportation work.

Anyway, if I take the Civil P.E. exam and don't pass, does that adversely affect my license in any way?

Does anyone else have any experience with taking the exam in a second discipline?

From what I understand, it doesn't hurt your existing license at all if you attempt and fail another PE exam. I think that's a good move, and have been considering it myself. The Environmental PE is a little limiting compared to the Civil, and a Civil is generally allowed to do anything that an Environmental is.

I've been considering doing the same thing at some point. I figured get the license in my most familiar area so I can have the benefits of being a PE, and take the other exam sometime down the road if it looks beneficial.

If you have enough experience, you can probably get endorsed in civil/envl without taking another exam.

I got my PE in Electrical, Power Depth in April 07. I want to take the Computer Depth sometime. Since it's still Electrical, any idea if a Fail would effect my current PE?

I got my PE in Electrical, Power Depth in April 07. I want to take the Computer Depth sometime. Since it's still Electrical, any idea if a Fail would effect my current PE?
I respect and admire your energy Techie but...I don't understand why you would like to do that. Remember that Computers is a module of PE Electrical. I don't see any benefits for you on doing that other than personal satisfaction. I don't see how it would affect your PE neither.

I would really see the benefits on taking the PE on another discipline(Civil...Mechanical....). Actually, I know an engineer who is a Civil PE and Electrical PE. They used to call him the double engineer.

Back