Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

CE PE - 20+ years after graduating

Julian    0

Hello,

I am beginning to prepare for the Civil PE Exam and graduated college over 20 years ago. On-demand classes I've taken appear to be geared much more toward recent graduates as they are more review, whereas with 20+ years for me I would almost need to re-learn, not refresh. Any advice? Maybe some options on YouTube to reacquaint myself with topics/theories/ideas which would be covered in review courses?

Thanks,

J

thejulie_PE    605

I think it might be helpful to start with a practice exam or practice problems, to see where you need the focus. Then you could always enroll in classes too! Or there's lots of seminars and webinars on specific topics. For example, woodworks has a great selection of wood design topics like complex diaphragm and shear walls with penetrations, heavy timber connections, and (the best part...)  they're all free! Welcome, and good luck! 

ruggercsc    52

I graduated in December 1988, took and passed the FE exam in April 1989 (first attempt) , and took and passed the P&P exam in April 2016 (first attempt).  I took School of PE (Construction Depth) and would not have passed without it.  For me, the course narrowed down what to study for and provides great resource material for the exam.  The material in the course and subsequently on the exam could be broken down into four categories as follows:

1.  Material I use daily (example - reading geotechnical reports, SWPPP stuff)

2.  Material I have used since I graduated but not used it in awhile - (example - calculating bank volume/loose volume quantities, construction scheduling) 

3.  Material I had in college but have not used since (some of the structures stuff like truss analysis)

4.  Material I was seeing the first time. (some of the hydraulics and water resource stuff) 

For me, the first steps were the most difficult and it got easier as I progressed through the classes, videos.  For instance: 

1.  I started out watching their math review 10 times.  My head was spinning as I had forgotten what the sin, cos, and tan formula's were, but it all came back.

2.  I watched the calculator video ten times.

3.  I signed up for both their On Demand and live online classes.  Most of the time it was the same material taught by different instructors.  It really helped if I got stuck on a topic and needed to see it taught from a slightly different perspective.

Getting back to the study routine was the most difficult, but once it does, it will become easier. I have since gotten multiple certifications because I had learned to study again. 

Edited by ruggercsc
grammar error

On 8/12/2017 at 4:09 PM, ruggercsc said:

I took School of PE (Construction Depth) and would not have passed without it.

So happy to hear this! Glad we were there to help. Congrats on passing! 

civilrobot    1
On 8/11/2017 at 9:16 PM, Julian said:

Hello,

I am beginning to prepare for the Civil PE Exam and graduated college over 20 years ago. On-demand classes I've taken appear to be geared much more toward recent graduates as they are more review, whereas with 20+ years for me I would almost need to re-learn, not refresh. Any advice? Maybe some options on YouTube to reacquaint myself with topics/theories/ideas which would be covered in review courses?

Thanks,

J

Great question. I graduated over 10 years ago and I, thankfully, work in construction so I am exposed to a little bit of everything in CE in my everyday life. But I haven't sat down to do math problems in forever. I have the Practice Problems for the Civil Engineering Exam book and I'm going to jump right in and start doing problems just to get familiar with the work again. I plan to take EET CE Breadth and Depth courses to prepare for the exam. I'm interested in seeing what works for you. Good luck!

John QPE    178

My degree is in Geography, and that was 20 years ago. If I can pass the FE and PE you can too.

I took EET, and I'm pretty sure I got 100 on the PE Exam

knight1fox3    4,424
34 minutes ago, John QPE said:

I took EET, and I'm pretty sure I got 100 on the PE Exam

Pics or it didn't happen...

kevo_55    1,060

What? That dog pic isn't enough? :P

• Haha 1

rg1    4
On 8/11/2017 at 6:16 PM, Julian said:

Hello,

Thanks,

J

First thing is you are at right place to get all kinds of info. This forum will give you everything you need. I graduated in 1990 (Electrical) and writing PE in October 17. I also had similar feelings whether to write not to write, how come I can compete with young guys, what about references, outside US, whether they will work not work,  but this forum is great place to give you info and than confidence that you can do it. If you go to your subject sub forum you will find discussions on the subject matter happened in yesteryears and happening now. Start solving those questions and then as you mentioned You tube has a lot of stuff. You will find some guys on the forum make more sense than others, you can PM them, be in touch with them and you will get all what you need. A lot of stuff is available in the forum to start with and decide where you stand today and how much inputs you require and of what level.