Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Omer

differential protection on 3 phas TXR

cos90    3

My apologies for starting this discussion. Here's how you would solve this problem before microprocessor relays came onto the scene:

rrXwCMX.png

@TNPE  you would see a wye-delta transformer applied for Generator Step Up (GSU), the tertiary of a large autotransformer, and at interconnection sites where two systems are operating at a different phase angle. For distribution you typically see a Wye-Wye or Delta-Wye transformer.

cos90    3

A GSU is a delta-wye. I misspoke.

The LV winding is the primary on a GSU transformer.

cos90    3

You could also see a wye-delta used as a grounding bank, used like a zigzag transformer.

TNPE    15

That's my point, it is almost impractical to use this winding configuration on the utility scale when other more practical, existential options are available.  Most transmission step-downs (e.g. 161-69kV or similar) are wye-wye grounded with a delta tertiary.  The tertiary serves two purposes, trapping zero sequence and providing station service to a 13.2 kV bus (typically). Generally speaking, to pick up ground faults, you want your down line sections to be looking back at a grounded secondary.  Without this, you have to use a more expensive alternate approach to detect "ground" faults.  Whether you accomplish this by beefing up the relays or adding a zigzag.  Why even go that route when it's not necessary?

rg1    4
4 hours ago, cos90 said:

My apologies for starting this discussion. Here's how you would solve this problem before microprocessor relays came onto the scene:

rrXwCMX.png

@TNPE  you would see a wye-delta transformer applied for Generator Step Up (GSU), the tertiary of a large autotransformer, and at interconnection sites where two systems are operating at a different phase angle. For distribution you typically see a Wye-Wye or Delta-Wye transformer.

Yes it will. Thanks Cos90 for sharing this, you seem to have good stuff. When I look back the reason of zero sequence - I was right and then solution is different from what I suggested. In my suggestion 30 degree phase angle  problem, will again appear which need to be resolved by ICTs ( Intermediate CTs connected in delta). Here they are using a delta connected trap for resolving  zero sequence currents. But as mentioned by the t60 manual- it is not true that the conventional relaying system were not able to tackle this problem.

Still I fail to understand when you chose and  need an ungrounded system why you need grounding. Should have gone for star-star Xmer. To be honest my practical knowledge of an ungrounded system is nil.

TNPE    15

Dodge the problem entirely by doing what I mentioned in other posts.  No need to complicate it and make it more expensive at the same time.   

I have yet to see a scenario where this configuration would be needed, at least with regards to HV, MV and distribution utility applications.