Questions about Texas exam scoring

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfeC

Reaction score
So, off the bat I kind of feel that Texas' scoring system is dumb with its % rather than X/80 if you pass. But I actually got a weird set of numbers considering the out of 80 aspect.

I got a 73% (woo hoo barely made it) which means i would have gotten 58.4 question correct if all 80 were in play. obviously some questions were removed or whatever they do in the grading period. 

BUT a friend of mine also passed the SAME exam Thermo/fluids. but she got a 72%.... so that could only mean that certain questions were weighed different?

If so that goes against everything we were told while studying as in "the easy questions are worth the same as the hard ones so do the easy ones first".

Maybe I am missing something does anyone have any insight to this odd grading practice? I'm only concerned because the only other explanation is we both got a 72.something% and she was rounded down and I was rounded up, not a problem right? we both passed? However, there is someone in another thread i saw that failed with a 69%... if rounding was taken into place that person has a chance that they got shafted.

NCEES is pretty explicit that all questions are weighted the same. The other option is that they threw out a question. See below with results out of 79 instead of 80. 

58/79 = 73.4% which rounds to 73%. 

57/79=72.1% which rounds to 72%.

I think you're looking too much into it.  It's like your GPA from school...it doesn't mean anything in the real world.  Once you've passed, that's all that matters.

Well, if anyone was wondering....

The known scores I have for my test were 72, 73, and 69%

Based on that the only combination that can exist is they threw out exactly 2 questions:

57/78 = 73.07% rounds to 73%

56/78 = 71.7% rounds to 72%

54/78 = 69.23% rounds to 69%

78 total questions is the only option that yields those 3 scores. So there is an extremely high liklihood that for the Mechanical: Thermo/Fluids Exam your score was taken out of 78 questions.

Last October, i failed with 44/80. However, the score said i got 68%.

44/65 = 67.79%

After that, i started ignoring percentage score.

Last October, i failed with 44/80. However, the score said i got 68%.

44/65 = 67.79%

After that, i started ignoring percentage score.
Exactly once i got my % score i quickly realized that it was exactly next to useless

Back