Construction Woes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
I'm having a garage built at the house.  Its difficult enough, that I hired my brotherinlaw to be the GC.  Its what he does for a living.  Foundation got poured without incident.  I pull up the day they laid the block and saw this.  If you cant tell whats going on, the top two rows are skewed from the bottom 3-4 rows and they "glued" on a brick ledge on the back and one side.  Turns out they laid all but the top two rows out of square with the house (would not have been a big deal).  So they knocked down as much as they could that hadn't hardened and twisted those rows to be square to the house.  The top two layers are square and all the "glued" mess will be covered up with concrete and dirt, but man do I wish they hadn't done that.  Its up and in the dry without any other incidents (that I know of).  I would say lesson learned, but I don't know what I could have done to prevent that other than sit there while they laid the block out.

IMG_6208.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

I get a price adjustment or make them take it all out and start again.  that's not professional.  JMHO.

Mistakes happen but why should have to live with it.  I assume they're not doing it for free.

I don't think I could live with that.  All relationships aside, if it were me I'd make them tear it out and do it right before I paid anything.

I've made the contractor re-lay quite a few bricks because he tried that.

It's a structural wall, it needs to be built properly. 

Back