Worked Practice Problems to Bring to Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryPE

Reaction score
I was hoping I might get some input on specific problems that people have worked out that they will be bringing to the PE HVAC exam. I've been studying diligently for a few months but just cannot decide on what problems are good representations of the exam problems.

Since you can essentially bring an unlimited amount of resources, why limit yourself to any particular problem set?  Bring any and all that you have already worked, IMO.  If your question is really "which problems should I be working right now, to prepare", then there isn't any better set that represents breadth of material and level of difficulty than the NCEES sample problems.  SMS are good too.  But at this point, I would think that you've already worked those a few times.

Yes I've worked hundreds of problems as this point, mainly the MERM Practice Problems, the SMS, and NCEES Practice Exam. However I hear lots of people talking about bringing pre-worked-out problems with them to the test. I thought this was a good idea but am just hoping to get an idea of what problems people are bringing. Thank you for your help!

There is a solved problems book out there, but unless you've already gone through it, I think it would be pointless to get it and bring it, at this point.  Just bring what you've already worked.  Odds are decent there will be one problem that is something similar to one you're familiar with, but you can bet it's going to be asked in a different way.

Hunting down similar problems you've lightly worked through or read through could end up wasting more time than just working through the problem logically. Save that method as a last resort, towards the end of the exam when you have surplus time. My $.02

Yes I've worked hundreds of problems as this point, mainly the MERM Practice Problems, the SMS, and NCEES Practice Exam. However I hear lots of people talking about bringing pre-worked-out problems with them to the test. I thought this was a good idea but am just hoping to get an idea of what problems people are bringing. Thank you for your help!
I brought the sample exam problems that I had worked.  I found it helpful in remembering (and having in one place) all of the exact steps and equations for the types of the problems that are asked that I don't regularly deal with in my job, if that helps. 

I brought the best set of every worked problem that I did to the exam (usually was the 2nd pass thru).  I had it organized and tabbed nicely in a binder behind all of my notes.   I referred to these several times on the exam.  Of course I also brought the problem books to the exam as well.    For the worked MERM practice problems, I sub-tabbed them based on subject matter which really helped me due to the amount of problems in that particular book. 

I also had some 'representative' problems that I included in with my notes; these were just a few of the problems out of the MERM companion that I thought represented the subject matter well.   I took the time to write these out large and complete with all steps including formula numbers from the MERM.   I'm not sure I focused much on these 'representative' problems during the exam...it was more of a good final review prep for me.  

Back